Lets talk Jig n Pig - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2009, 12:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Lets talk Jig n Pig

This year I'm gonna get better at this whole jig n pig stuff. It's probably the one tactic for bass that I have never really tried. Here we go:

What is your go to brand for jigs? Also what about colors? I asume weight will depend on my situation and desired presentation.

What about trailers? Any brand preferences? Should the trailer match the jig in color?

hatchmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2009, 01:30 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Lets talk Jig n Pig

I make my own jigs. The reason is, I cannot find good color combinations at BPS or any local shop. I paint the heads custom with custom flake combinations as well. This way I know I am getting the EXACT jig I want with the hook I want, type of rattle I want, etc. 100% custom... All these companies skimp on their skirt strands too so the skirts aren't as full as I would like. There are a couple custom jig companies online that make good jigs:

http://www.jig-monster.com/jigmochfo...FRYsgwodZ1g7dA

http://www.thunderstruckjigs.com/

http://www.blackangeljigs.com/

I never fished jigs much until a few years ago when I started spending more time in a boat. For me, jigs are meant to be fished IN cover 100% of the time unless you are dragging a football jig around offshore structure. Fishing a jig IN cover is hard to do without a boat because you are stationary and getting out of a hangup is tough. You find you lose alot of jigs. For trailers, I use Netbait Paca Chunks unless I am fishing a sunfish color then I will use a double-tail grub. Hope this helps. Lemme know if you want to look at my jigs in person and I can show you some things to look for/pay attention to when buying jigs and selecting the right kind for the correct application.

My jigs...

Old 02-15-2009, 02:48 PM   #3 (permalink)

Longdraw your jigs are SICK!! , I've been wanting to start making my own but don't really know where to get started, any advise, hatchmaster when buying jigs some good things to look for are quality hooks, and full skirts, trailers I use a craw like zoom super chunk, unless I am swimming a jig, in that case I use a twin tail grub like long draw, hope this helps
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2009, 03:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

Very nice looking jigs longdraw! I'd buy 'em..............
mogul buster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2009, 07:19 PM   #5 (permalink)

Black/blue jig with a blue craw trailer...squirt of craw juice...cut off about 1/2 of the weedguard. Fish with PowerPro and keep an eye out for the line moving. 1/4 to 3/8 oz.
setthehook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2009, 07:26 PM   #6 (permalink)

have to agree with setthehook, cut off a bit of the weed guard if you can get away with it. also, the biggest thing i have found is full skirts. thin skirts don't work half as well.
Old 02-15-2009, 09:02 PM   #7 (permalink)

Everything said above is great advice. fwiw I personally like a to use the lightest jig I can get away with in the current conditions. The slower the fall the better for me personally.

Old 02-16-2009, 01:17 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwolves
Everything said above is great advice. fwiw I personally like a to use the lightest jig I can get away with in the current conditions. The slower the fall the better for me personally.

That is definately a rule of thumb, and something for people choosing weight size in general to think about BUT... I have found fish under conditions where they are sitting right up against the bases of buck brush and will only bite a fast falling jig(1/2oz), no wind. There is a situation for everything, and then there is another situation that the fish tell you about.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:01 AM   #9 (permalink)

My rule of thunb is colder the water the lite jig and the slower the fall . I also use more uncle josh trailers then say a plastic in colder water. The water color plays roll in color of bait as well, darker the water the darker the bait the clearer the water your lite colors pumkin and watermelons.. the warmer the water the heaver the jig you can geta way with. Did any one metion rattles to the jig....
Reno NV, Hamburg PA, Rodgers MN,Boise ID,
Kansas City KS, LA Vista NE, Springfeild OR
scottivie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in