Newbie here, a few quick questions - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2009, 06:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Newbie here, a few quick questions

I am thinking about taking up a little fishing in my spare time here in Eagle County this year, my condo backs up the the Eagle River in Eagle-Vail... I have no real experience other than some bass fishing back home years ago..

without getting all types of hardcore into it, just wondering what types of bait and technique and other advice you guys have for fishing out my back door this summer, im probably just gonna get some cheap rod from WalMart to get started..... I assume technique is the key to success, as it is with Snowboarding and Golf also.
Blake Mile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2009, 07:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
The Mayor

Default Re: Newbie here, a few quick questions

Welcome to the forum! The Eagle is a darn good trout stream. Have you considered a starter fly rod? My dad has a condo in west vail, and we have caught a lot of fish on Gore Creek and the Eagle. There's tons of great fishing very close. Maybe the Eagle area guys can chime in, they know way more than I do about that area.

Anyway, welcome aboard...

BHR
Old 02-16-2009, 11:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

I would recommend a cheap fly rod package. Sure you can catch fish with a spinning rod and lures but once you catch your first fish on the fly it may just change your life I have never fished that river but have driven by it a lot, I would say a 4 or 5 weight rod with weight foward floating line and just a generic assortment of flies from the local fly shop would have you well on your way to getting hooked! Just stop in the local fly shop and tell them you are new to it and I;m sure they would be willing to get you set up and show you the basics as long as you spend a few bucks in the shop. Have fun good luck!
ptaft is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2009, 06:26 AM   #4 (permalink)

when i was a kid i fished it every year. our friends had a condo that backed up to it. all we did was lift up a rock find a live stonefly or helgrimite(sp?) put it on a hook, attach a small splitshot about 12"-15" above. cast out up stream a bit and lit it drift down. it seemed pretty easy. you should be able to "hook up" fairly easy. if you enjoy it, then you might want to look into advancing your techniques. hope that helps!

Jim
baetisrun1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2009, 06:40 AM   #5 (permalink)

All the folks who replied are right IMO. Get a cheap fly kit from Wal Mart and maybe rent a video on casting. I will warn that if you catch a fish or two on a fly rod, you may realize it is up there with powderdays and birdies. It was for me anyway. Fly fishing can get expensive like any hobbie when you really get into it. But a wal mart package will have everything you need to try it out and get started. Maybe a quick trip to the local fly shop for some suggestions on flies and how to set up your rig. T

If you want help, just ask. Plenty of folks here that will give you advice. By the way, I am already jeleous of your location!!!
Old 02-17-2009, 07:12 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by baetisrun1
when i was a kid i fished it every year. our friends had a condo that backed up to it. all we did was lift up a rock find a live stonefly or helgrimite(sp?) put it on a hook, attach a small splitshot about 12"-15" above. cast out up stream a bit and lit it drift down. it seemed pretty easy. you should be able to "hook up" fairly easy. if you enjoy it, then you might want to look into advancing your techniques. hope that helps!

Jim
I never knew that there was Helgremites in colorado!! I use to catch them all the time in arizona but have never seen one here.

Old 02-17-2009, 07:15 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Quote:
Originally Posted by baetisrun1

Jim
I never knew that there was Helgremites in colorado!! I use to catch them all the time in arizona but have never seen one here.
they usually sneak down to trinidad and get "fixed" before you see 'em
Old 02-17-2009, 07:19 AM   #8 (permalink)

Just get some worms and hooks and lead weights. Easy pickins.
slayerfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2009, 07:42 AM   #9 (permalink)

Just throw plugs you will catch as many as fly fishing and bigger ones. If you want to drift bait just turn over rocks as suggested above and hook on whatever you find. Or one better by a fly rod as mentioned and just use whatever insects you find under rocks ( small #12 hook and some split shot) then you can say your fly fishing. Be sure bait is allowed on the section you are going to fish.
Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2009, 02:29 PM   #10 (permalink)

I dont stream/river fish very much but when I have I've done pretty well with small countdown Rapalas in a gold and black or silver and black, and probably a trout pattern or two couldn't hurt. But like most have said a fly rod is not a bad option, and going to the local shop will (in theory) be a good plan. I say "in theory" because you may slip up in someway and offend one of the fly guys then they will give you bad information. Like for example....

"Yeah, I'm looking to get some trout to fill up the frezzer!"

I would avoid that statement.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in