Pontoon Boat Help! - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2009, 10:12 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Pontoon Boat Help!

I have a Creek Company ODC Classic Pontoon (http://tinyurl.com/bd3kn6) and I added a 30lb thrust trolling motor to it via a homemade motor mount that my bro in law made. The battery I have is a deep cell trolling motor and it weighs a lot at least 30lbs, maybe more.

I can't mount the battery inline so its off to the side a little and it totally throws off the tracking of the boat. Also the boat is very light in front now and I have the pontoons as far back as possible.

I like my pontoon a lot but should I sell it and upgrade to a better one so I can run my trolling motor? Should I downsize to a smaller non-deep cell battery? Or am I just doing something else wrong? I can post pics later.

Thanks!!
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2009, 10:33 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Pontoon Boat Help!

That sounds like a tough situation, because no matter where you mount the motor and battery, you're going to have more weight in the back of the pontoon (I'm assuming that's where you've mounted things) than in the front. Without moving one towards the front, I think you'll always have a situation where the front of the boat is much lighter than the back.

As far as the tracking goes, it sounds like you need to play around with the location of the battery and motor...I bet you could counterbalance the battery by moving the motor off-center (if you haven't already). You might also consider moving the battery closer to the center of the boat (i.e., as close as possible to your seat).

A bigger pontoon would probably make things a little less noticeable, just because the longer pontoons and potentially wider stance would make the difference in weigh distribution between front/back and left/right a little less of an issue. Of course, you'd have to spring to buy a new pontoon, and that would be an issue.
FishDr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2009, 10:55 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the info, I think it will be a trial and error thing of moving around the motor and battery but its hard to see the results without putting it on the water. Maybe I can rig up a modular or adjustable system for moving the motor and battery easily when at the lake.

Advertisement

Old 02-18-2009, 11:19 AM   #4 (permalink)

Look into the batteries that they use on the old people scooters. I have one and it is great, deep cycle but probably 1/3 the size of a regular and therefore they weigh much less.
flyfishgeek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2009, 03:30 PM   #5 (permalink)

Exactly what flyfishgeek said.

I got a battery from Batteries Plus that works with my 50lb thrust Minn kota. and the best part is that the battery is half the size of the my original one from Walmart.

Let me know if you need more help
Old 02-18-2009, 04:29 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for all the help!!

I may go with the Floatpower, it would be nice to have the battery and motor off my pontoon.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:49 PM   #7 (permalink)

Remember, if you use a motor on your toon it must be registered just like a boat. This is a real pain for me as I have 3 toons, I will only register 1 and row the others.
flyfishgeek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2009, 07:00 PM   #8 (permalink)

Need to see it on the water. I carry 2 Optima blue batteries when I'm, out. 9' Bucks bag 36", 32lb Minkota. I track off alot but usually always troll in reverse, and use my flippers constantly to guide me, only use the motor for push. You n me are about the same size and I drag mine all the across A Town without much problem I carry 2 batteries cause of gale force winds.
colonative is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2009, 07:25 PM   #9 (permalink)
silent_light

FFG - how would you compare the life of the small battery vs. the full size ones? Sounds like the perfect solution, and i'd use one on mine if it lasts long.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2009, 07:58 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYFISHGEEK
Remember, if you use a motor on your toon it must be registered just like a boat. This is a real pain for me as I have 3 toons, I will only register 1 and row the others.
Thanks, mine is registered (well at least until the end of march) That sucks you can only use the registration for 1.

Mark, I don't know about us being the same size, my gut is much bigger than yours!

When does A-town open for boating, is it ice off or a certain date?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in