Pueblo Dam - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2009, 07:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Pueblo Dam

In many circles some means and methods are kept tight lipped and when your buddies found out you added someone new in on the secret, you were beaten, broken, and added to the do not call list! Let's see if I'm digging in on one of those nasty secrets here!
Walleye----of coarse! I was raised in Riverton Wyoming. 30 mins from Boysen and an hour from the dam. As kids we used the wind (between Boysen and Thermopolis) to raft and tube, and occasionally catch a huge brown or nice cut occasionally! All our walleye came from the lake, boat and shore fishing. On accident: We ended up pitching cranks one very very cold evening in March. Though not my fish I remember it well. My buddy was cursing about losing another lure to the rocks. A slew of cursing quickly turned to knee shaking and anxious relief! The snag decided to start swimming! Quickly realizing a fish that big had to be a carp we began with the slew of comments about mounting that trophy carp, how we were going to blow it to pieces with M-80's and so on! Granted we all stood and watched as my buddy pulled this log from across the river!
31.5 inch walleye, Little over 13 lbs! Since that day almost 17 years ago we have all been very tight lipped about our find. Word got out about 4 years ago and an add ended up in In fisherman or Walleye insider! Yes the code was broke, yes those of us who knew were pissed, but we have to give a lil credit as the article said Jan-Feb, untrue, and there are a few specific locations that were not specified. The main key was the time of night, which time of day wasn't even stated in the article! Same friend today has 5 eyes on his wall starting at 13, with the largest a bit over 15 (Greedy fellow). My mom kept a 13 for the wall, and another friend has a 12 and a 14. All from a 1 mile stretch of RIVER! We could pretty much count on a fish over 10 lbs each time we fished for about a 3 week window! Walleye swim upstream until they can swim no more during the spawn! With all that stated! I have hit Pueblo, below the dam, where the water hits the river 3 times now and not a single eye! I figure in Colorado the spawn happens earlier so Jan and Feb should be the time! I know the lures, I know the time of year! But I cant find the fish!
Does anybody have any input on this? Will you be the one to let the cat out of the bag?
Any info on any of our reservoirs would be appreciated!
trussboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2009, 07:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Pueblo Dam

I remember one nice eye from last year from DisplacedFisherman....and that's about it. So either not many are caught that big.......or people are very "tight lipped" about it.
rivrunnr1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2009, 07:40 PM   #3 (permalink)

It's still too cold for the walleye spawn...give it another 20 - 30 days depending on the weather...make sure you check the regs before you fish it too....there's a reason they shut down the dam (during the spawn)
xxxxxThat Guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2009, 07:43 PM   #4 (permalink)

Kevin,
I agree with that guy but I say 2-3 weeks...wanna go? You drive...no, I've seen how you drive, I'll drive.
setthehook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2009, 08:08 PM   #5 (permalink)

Whoever drives covers the gas! copilot brings the beer! I'll let you decide where your comfort level is
I'm game for whenever. Though in Wyoming none of these fish had dropped their eggs and the few males were not dripping snot! (meaning out bite was gone when they were actually spawning and probably even a couple weeks before. I'm also pretty confident the fish weren't feading when we caught them! I have a pretty flexible schedule so seriously I'm game any evening call me! or email me when you can sneak away for a long night of stinky trout and donating lures
trussboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2009, 10:09 PM   #6 (permalink)

interesting , but spawn starts later here . at least another 3 weeks till it gets going good
Old 02-20-2009, 12:44 AM   #7 (permalink)

when camping at pueblo in mid april as a kid... I used to shine my lights down along the cliffs and dropoffs and see glowing eyes staring back at me.

I got nothing other than that to contribute to the convo. I'm sorry.
LAKESTER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2009, 01:17 AM   #8 (permalink)

Isnt the damn illegal to fish right at the concrete? I know there are fences there and signs. Not to sure. And yes the walleye spawn is always later on. I think you need to act as if it is where your spot was. early to mid march.
muskieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2009, 06:56 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trussboy
I'm also pretty confident the fish weren't feading when we caught them!
Ahhhh....walleye flossing with treble hooks again...the sturgeon general has warned them about doing that.
setthehook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2009, 10:22 AM   #10 (permalink)

your post says the river below the dam, there very few eyes in the river. the closeure on the lake sdie of the dam is from mar 15th till apr.15th and it is 100 feet out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in