Baitcasting joy - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2009, 08:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Baitcasting joy

Just wanted to take a quick moment to thank everyone who responded to my blogs about buying a baitcaster. I was able to buy the new Citica E from Shimano after reading a report on this reel and comparing it to the the Curado E, and what a joy to cast. I did have the usual birdsnest on a rare occasion, and did have to cut off a few yards of line on one occasion, but overall, I was getting the same distance as my spinning reel, and we're working on the accuracy. It also helped that the wind came up and I got to practice making the adjustments to avoid the "nest," while casting into the wind. No Bass to report, but this was a day of practice and exploration, the fish (Bass) will come.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2009, 08:26 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Baitcasting joy

Are you using braid or mono?
[me=Jay] [/me]
NeWcS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2009, 08:29 PM   #3 (permalink)

al. good choice on the reel, when you going to buy another?

Old 02-19-2009, 09:40 PM   #4 (permalink)

Why did you choose the citica over the curado? I'm on the fence between the two...
jefwinn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2009, 06:16 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredo
Why did you choose the citica over the curado? I'm on the fence between the two...
It really came down to price. Basically the Citica is a toned down version of the Curado + being around $40.00 cheaper. Being my first true Baitcasting reel, I didn't want to spend to much to find out I was wrong or didn't like using it. Now I need to match it to the best pole style possible, and away we go. Still need to work on using lighter lures.
Old 02-20-2009, 06:25 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay
Are you using braid or mono?
[me=Jay] [/me]
I have the my Citica E lined with 20 lb. test Fireline (8 lb. dia). Fireline is the only line I used for the last 10 years, or basically since it came out. I have used it for all applications and learning to adjust drag, it as never let me down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EYE_chaser
al. good choice on the reel, when you going to buy another?
That may come sooner than I thought after the fun I had today
Old 02-20-2009, 07:22 AM   #7 (permalink)

I just got my new Citica E too! I am having a good time with it too! Everyone said that I should take off the power pro I put on it and use mono/flouro instead as a beginner.

I was going to do that....but then I got lazy. Then I went fishing with setthehook and he showed me a few things. I fished all day at Pueblo and didn't have a single problem pitching or casting. Not a single rats nest.

My next challenge will be to not create a rats nest when casting into the wind. So far so good!
rivrunnr1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2009, 08:22 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivrunnr1
I just got my new Citica E too! I am having a good time with it too! Everyone said that I should take off the power pro I put on it and use mono/flouro instead as a beginner.

I was going to do that....but then I got lazy. Then I went fishing with setthehook and he showed me a few things. I fished all day at Pueblo and didn't have a single problem pitching or casting. Not a single rats nest.

My next challenge will be to not create a rats nest when casting into the wind. So far so good!
I know what you mean Rivrunnr1. It's like the "Fishing Gods" were out yesturday for my practice session. 1st it was calm so I could get use to things, and than the wind came up. I learned real fast to adjust my cast control, and the variable brake system. Still working on the lighter lures and the right pole set-up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in