Freshwater freight train....... - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2009, 06:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Freshwater freight train.......

I went out to a local hole to cast some trout lures around for some slimers this afternoon. I was using a rainbow trout Krocodile on 6 lb test when on my second cast.............my spoon stopped. I pulled and yanked to no avail...............snagged. Right when I get ready to go through the whole "de-snag" routine..............my line starts moving. A steady pull turns into a ferocious run..............2 minutes later I'm down to about 1/4 of my line. The fish took out about 60 yards fairly quickly. Eventually I stop him and begin the pull and reel to gain back line. By now I've figured out what's going on..............I can't turn this fish...............he's snagged. Anyways..............long story short...............after 15 minutes I finally see the infamous carp tail come out of the water.............along with my Krocodile right on the tip of it. It was a fun fight.........but ate up alot of my casting time. Turns out it was about an 9-10ish pound carp...............about 28" long. Better than a skunk!
mogul buster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2009, 06:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Freshwater freight train.......

You had other pluses on that hook-up .... a good knot , 60+ yards of proven good 6lb line and you got the lure back .

Maynard G Krebs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2009, 07:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

That can be fun...I got one about that size in the dorsal fin on 4 pound crystal jig fishing for eyes a couple of years ago...they sure can fight when they can run straight away from you...nice job!...

I was hoping you were going to say you got this springs first full size wiper...one of the 28 inch numbers...
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2009, 07:17 PM   #4 (permalink)

sounds like a typical day at the jackson lake inlet.
LAKESTER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2009, 07:22 PM   #5 (permalink)

That's a true test of your gear and knot. Good job landing it.

Once my buddy called me when I was 5 minutes from the lake yelling, "Hurry man!!!!! I got a big one on and I'm gonna need your net!" When I got there a huge carp was on the shore and he had the most disappointing look on his face. I couldn't stop laughing for like an hour

atownbasser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2009, 07:50 PM   #6 (permalink)

It happened to a friend of mine at Pueblo...using big live shiners...thought he had the wiper of his life...turned out to be a 20 pound golden wiper...he was so pissed when he saw it...screamed whats it doing eating great big shiners?!!!...
Old 03-08-2009, 07:58 PM   #7 (permalink)

better than a skunk. i was fishing the Chesapeak in Maryland and thought i had the stiper of my life, 21 pound carp in the fin.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:00 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman
It happened to a friend of mine at Pueblo...using big live shiners...thought he had the wiper of his life...turned out to be a 20 pound golden wiper...he was so pissed when he saw it...screamed whats it doing eating great big shiners?!!!...

LMAO

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in