Anybody else hear this about Minnows? - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2009, 08:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Default Anybody else hear this about Minnows?

I got the boat out a Chatfield for a couple of hours this afternoon.

At the inspection station they asked me if I was using live bait.

I told them yes, minnows.

Then they asked me if I caught them myself.

No, got them at Gander Mtn I told them.

Do you have a receipt they asked?

No these are left over from ice fishing several weeks ago. Oh ok they said. But you might want to keep the receipt in the future.

it seems they are considering going with a policy like they have in wyoming. Minnows need to come from the same drainage or maybe they need to be certified disease/parasite free?

If they need to come from the same drainage that might be tough since most minnows around here from out of state if my information is correct. And what would it do to the cost if they need to be certified as disease/parasite free?

sounds like it might be harder to fish with live bait in the future..........

BTW fishing was great, catching was lousy. Marked alot of fish but could not entice them to hit. water temp was around 42 degrees. wind picked up and changed directions on us. Made a nice walleye chop but the wife was a bit chilly so we headed in.
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2009, 08:52 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Anybody else hear this about Minnows?

Yes, there are new regulations with new protocols. It's a matter of catching them, filling the bucket at the place you caught them with water which may contain an aquatic nuisance (not necessarily just zebra mussels) and then dumping that bucket in a new location.

They don't want you to do that....it's why they ask for a receipt. They did the same thing last year at Boyd. If you didn't have a receipt, they'd make you dump the water, then refill it with lake water from Boyd.

Here's a link to the new regs....I'll see if I can find the protocols (I have them somewhere in pdf format).

http://parks.state.co.us/NR/rdonlyre...l_approved.pdf
xxxxxThat Guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2009, 08:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

K. If a vessel or other floating device contains bait in water, then the owner or operator will be required to produce a receipt for the bait from a Colorado bait dealer with a date clearly printed on the receipt and the date is no more than 7 days previous. If the owner or operator does not have such a receipt, then they will be required to transfer such bait into a temporary holding container. The bait will be removed from the vesselís or other floating deviceís live well or container and placed into the holding container using a net while attempting to minimize as much as possible any transference of water from the live well. The live well or container will then be drained and decontaminated using proper WID procedures before restocking with the bait can occur. Whenever possible, water from the water body that the vessel is going to be launched into should be used for restocking the bait.

Advertisement

Old 03-08-2009, 09:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Having to have a receipt less than 7 days old is going to make things tough. I have to drive half way cross town to get minnows so I buy several dozen at a time and keep them in aerated bucket in my garage. now I will have to buy them on an as needed basis or not use minnows since its such a drive to get minnows.

I don't see how changing the water will have much of an effect. can't the larvae be on the the minnows?

I guess its a proactive step, but I really don't see that it will do more than just slow down the spread.
Old 03-08-2009, 09:13 PM   #5 (permalink)

Dan, a good way to get around it is to keep your minnows in one of those blue mesh bags they sell at Gander, then keep that bag in your bucket/live well. When they ask you to transfer the water, just lift the mesh bag (with the minnows in it) and move it into a different bucket as per their protocol.

That would solve the receipt problem.
xxxxxThat Guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2009, 04:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by that guy
Dan, a good way to get around it is to keep your minnows in one of those blue mesh bags they sell at Gander, then keep that bag in your bucket/live well. When they ask you to transfer the water, just lift the mesh bag (with the minnows in it) and move it into a different bucket as per their protocol.

good idea thanks
Old 03-09-2009, 04:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Tator
Quote:
Originally Posted by that guy

good idea thanks
very good to know
Old 03-09-2009, 04:43 PM   #8 (permalink)

Not that anybody on this post has, but don't complain too much, at least you can still use minnows on that side of the divide!
fishlip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2009, 05:53 PM   #9 (permalink)

Knew it was comin. Wonder about jumbo leeches brought in from outta state.
colonative is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2009, 05:56 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonative
Knew it was comin. Wonder about jumbo leeches brought in from outta state.
Easily transferrable mesh bag is the way to bring them to the lake. The "Leech Tamer". Gander has had them in years past.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in