Fishing With A Dog - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2009, 03:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Fishing With A Dog

I am fairly new to the state and try to get out fishing whenever possible. A year ago I got a Brittany pup and have found her to be a very good fishing buddy.... never cancels on me the morning of a trip and actually points fish! Yet, I have found Colorado to be very unfriendly to dog. What I mean is that there are very few placed that you can legally let your dog off a leash and even fewer that you can fish at. I have mead a few hikes into the upper part of Cheesman Canyon and found that I get away from enough people that her being off a leash isn't an issue.

Does anyone have an recommendations where I can go this time of year that I can get away from the crowds and catch a few fish with my pup?
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2009, 03:57 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Fishing With A Dog

Sorry I cant help... Thought this thread was gunna be about fishing with hotdogs LOL If that were the case i may have some info for ya.
Old 03-13-2009, 04:14 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to TroutHunter-Jerry

It is unfortunate that in our great state the laws are as strict as they are concerning dogs and leashes. I think that alot of people I met on the river should be kept on a leash! Bad manners and etique. Anyways, I don't know of too many places that allow it, but like you stated above, if you get far enough from the crowds and your pup behaves well, you could probably get away with it.
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2009, 04:29 PM   #4 (permalink)

When I first read that you thought CO wasn't dog friendly, I was about to disagree...then you mentioned the leash laws, so of course I have to agree. It's sad too considering this state is IDEAL for having your dogs with you. The only county I know of that allows off-leash is Boulder county. And for that to work, you have to pass a test and pay a fee. Here's the info: http://www.bouldercolorado.gov/index...562&Itemid=411

Other than that, things you should know:
- National parks prohibit dogs from even entering the park. They won't even let you through the gate.
- I'm pretty sure that in any national forest, you can have your dog off-leash. You may have to hike to it, but there is some good water on national forest land.

Personally, I've put my dogs through e-collar training, so they always have those on. I usually have leashes with me, but generally I'm not holding them. My dogs are good at sticking right with me as long as I'm giving a "heel" command. They're generally better behaved than dogs on leashes. Of course, if a ranger saw me, he could write me a ticket. I haven't had an issue so far.

PS in national forest land, I don't really care, not a ton of traffic through there, but everywhere where there is a lot of foot traffic, I ask that you please clean up after your dog.
DozerF350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2009, 04:53 PM   #5 (permalink)

Yes my dog is extremely well behaved and has also gone though e-collare training. Yet I have had issues.

I guess what I was really asking was...

Does anyone recommend a place (Like Cheesman Canyon) that I can hike into and get some good fishing this weekend.
Old 03-13-2009, 06:08 PM   #6 (permalink)

I hiked into cheeseman with a friend of mine and his bird dog some years ago we sit down and start puttin our waders on. The dog takes off for a few minutes and comes runnin up to me with somthin in his mouth. I take it out, look at my friend and and said this is best bird dog I have ever seen in my entire life ever !!!! Then show him what he brought back.. A fresh fried chicken breast. A dog that brings back birds cooked is pretty amazin in my book!
Old 03-13-2009, 06:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

Old 03-13-2009, 06:45 PM   #8 (permalink)

i recall a similar thread on this subject (fishing with dogs) got WAY out of hand a few years ago and it got deleted.
my bottom line is if the dog is well behaved, they are welcome and a great part of fishing. if not, they can be a nightmare for everyone.
leash laws are tough here but if you fish via a hike and get well away from people you probably don't have too much to worry about. RMNP is no dogs off leash or on trails period.
the best way is in a boat.

btw, i love brittanys. i used to have 2 and just lost my last one a few weeks ago to cancer. it was heart breaking. but she was never a shore/walk/wade fishing buddy, only a great boat lake fishing companion.

good luck and error on the side of your dogs safety and caution.
YMAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2009, 06:59 PM   #9 (permalink)

I have three dogs that have been with me when I fish alone. Rangers have watched me walk them onto the boat (all three) and I even have one that commented "You have got to be kidding" when they all piled onto the boat without issue. To this day, if I say "let's go fishin'" the front screen door just about gets taken off it's hinges with them trying to get out the door.

I don't think Don and the mods are ones to promote illegal activity so all I'll say is if you can control your dogs and be respectful of other people, I don't think it will be a problem....and yes, I've let them run loose in a TON of places that have been mentioned on this forum.

Here's a couple examples

Lake Mac after a hard day fishing

North Sterling on the boat

Keep in mind....most rangers/law enforcement officers are reasonable and won't issue a ticket unless someone complains. I have had rangers drive up to me camping in the woods, at Prewitt, at Lake Mac, etc. and as long as I can get the dogs in the truck (usually by the command "inside") before they open their car door, I won't have a problem.

Like I said, you need to be respectful of the others around you.
xxxxxThat Guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2009, 07:48 PM   #10 (permalink)

Yea Colorado leash laws suck,but most DOW officers are nice about it. My dog actually got in a nasty fight with a DOW officer's dog out east(both dogs unleashed), luckily he's a friend of ours so it wasnt such a big deal
Lungbuster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in