Would you buy a GPS depth contour map of your favorite Colorado lake(s)? - Colorado Fishing Forum

View Poll Results: Would you buy an electronic depth contour map of your favorite Colorado lake(s) that would show your
Yes, I would buy a map of my favorite lake(s). 53 76.81%
No, I would not be interested. 7 10.14%
I would if the maps for Front Range lakes had smaller contour intervals, such as 1 or 2 feet. 9 13.04%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2009, 06:59 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Would you buy a GPS depth contour map of your favorite Colorado lake(s)?

As you probably know, there are very few lakes in Colorado for which there are decent electronic bottom contour maps. Lowrance has free maps for a few Colorado lakes, most notably Pueblo and Blue Mesa. I think Map Create 7 contains contour maps for Cherry creek and Chatfield (although the Chatfield map is incorrect in some spots).

If you could buy a chip with an electronic map of the important structure on the bottom of your favorite Colorado lake, with contour intervals of 5 feet for $25 or so, would you? It would allow you to drive your boat or snowmobile or walk on the ice out to your favorite underwater hump, ridge, drop off, flat, creek channel, breakline, etc.

If so, what lakes are you interested in??

Advertisement

Old 04-15-2009, 07:02 AM   #2 (permalink)
P I K E

Default Re: Would you buy a GPS depth contour map of your favorite Colorado lake(s)?

I sure would...Stagecoach and Williams Fork...I just still need to learn how to use this damn H2O I bought!!!
Old 04-15-2009, 07:21 AM   #3 (permalink)

Default Re: Would you buy a GPS depth contour map of your favorite Colorado lake(s)?

I think it would be a terrific tool to use - especially in the winter. I think it should include all lakes with public access....especially lakes in the State Park System as well as the Grand Lake area.

I have mixed feelings though...kind of makes it too easy sometimes. Then again, what would be the difference in that you'd have an electronic version of the contour maps they sell at most tackle stores?
xxxxxThat Guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2009, 07:24 AM   #4 (permalink)

Ed--

The only way it would be economically viable is to do one lake at time. It would take days to map a single lake.

Old 04-15-2009, 07:33 AM   #5 (permalink)

Yes. I would buy an e-map if it were not already on my FF.

11-mile
T-dad
setthehook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2009, 07:34 AM   #6 (permalink)

The only reason I've held off buying a new fishfinder is the lack of maps for Colorado lakes. Definitely would buy the GPS Maps.

11 Mile comes to mind.
blowfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2009, 08:26 AM   #7 (permalink)

$25, in a heartbeat! Unfortunately the lakes I fish the most, you can not even find paper versions of topos.
fishlip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2009, 04:32 PM   #8 (permalink)

Don, I would buy them and then complain that it wasn't 2 foot intervals since alot of the front range lakes I fish have little structure and the spots that hold fish(pseudo-humps, bars, depressions) wouldn't show up on a 5' interval map. I would buy the 5' since it would be better than having nothing or paper maps but would love something closer to 2'.
Old 04-15-2009, 05:55 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by solesearcher34
Don, I would buy them and then complain that it wasn't 2 foot intervals since alot of the front range lakes I fish have little structure and the spots that hold fish(pseudo-humps, bars, depressions) wouldn't show up on a 5' interval map. I would buy the 5' since it would be better than having nothing or paper maps but would love something closer to 2'.
I wonder if 1 or 2 foot intervals would make that much of a difference to other folks, too?? I'll try to edit the poll.

Old 04-15-2009, 06:38 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishLip
$25, in a heartbeat!
Me too.

I have thought about making a few of my own, but I can't seem to find time.
tal0362 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in