walleye - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2005, 07:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default walleye

I like to watch fishing programs on TV, like Bill Dance and Bass fishing. But late last night i saw a program on Walleye fishing. These guys were fishing in a boat out on Devils lake in North Dakota catching walleye in broad daylight, one right after the other. They were using minnows, and poppers and some other type of leur. Anyway i noticed that as they were bringing the walleye in that the fish did not seem to put up much of a fight and i wondered if this is just how they are normally?
koni is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2005, 08:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Default Re: walleye

coughdiverscough

It really depends on water tempature too on how hard a fish will fight.

www.ColoradoMountainFishing.com

Here's to Tight Lines, Bent Rods, and Screamin Reels.... FISH ON!
epic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2005, 10:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

coughdiverscough ?

I knew it! There are divers in the water putting those fish on those guys lines aren't there? No wonder they catch them one right after the other. lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2005, 10:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Compared to some fish like bass and bluegill, walleye are not big fighters. Add to that, water temp not being optimal or pH being out of whack and sometimes they seem down right lazy. But you will never catch a better eating fish.

Dan
Old 02-16-2005, 05:51 PM   #5 (permalink)

The light bite. I know there are walleye in the lake on 88th, people have caught them there. But this past summer i lost a lot of bait there, from what i called "lite bites" "little nibbles" and people kept telling me it was crawdads so i kind of ignored the bites when i would get them. After reading what you just posted i will pay closer attention to those "lite bites" and thank you for sharing that. Do you fish off the bottom for walleye, like you would for catfish? That is what i was trying as i was told that was the way to fish for walleye. A sinker at the end of the line and the hook a little ways up from the sinker?
Old 02-16-2005, 10:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

One of my favorite tactics if fishing from shore is to use a 1/4 oz or 3/8 oz worm sinker followed by bobber stop or split shot leaving a 3 or 4 foot leader between the stop/split shot and the hook...in between I will add a corky or pill shaped float (I like glow ones) to keep the bait off of the bottom so it isnt hidden in the muck/weeds and the crayfish cannot get to it...use 4 pound line to get maximum casting distance to get the bait deep...light line also makes a bait behave more naturally...walleye's teeth are not cutting teeth like a northern pike so a wire leader isnt necessary...
Old 02-16-2005, 11:27 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks Ken & zman. I wrote all that down so i won't forget. there are walleye at most of the places where i go fishing, but i have not had the pleasure yet of catching one. But i will. This year. I ran into a fellow last year who sounds like the fellow you mention Ken, only he tried to buy a fish from me that i had caught. He had two poles, but was so drunk he didn't really want to fish. So he harrassed me for hours wanting me to give him this fish, then he offered to pay for it. But i would not do it. I knew he wanted to take it home to show it off and say "look what i caught!" Im not cold hearted or nothing, but I had sat there for 4 hours to catch that one fish. You just don't expect people to act like that least i don't. I should have walloped him upside the head with it huh? LOL.
Old 02-16-2005, 11:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
Administrator

[me=ePiC]slaps drunk dude with a large walleye.[/me]

computer geek humor *snicker*

www.ColoradoMountainFishing.com

Here's to Tight Lines, Bent Rods, and Screamin Reels.... FISH ON!
epic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2005, 06:34 AM   #9 (permalink)

Kind of funny I met Koni at the ponds at 88th and Colorado last year, she told me about her monster cats (I listened intently because I have never caught one larger than a couple of pounds and not for lack of trying) and what she knew about the lake...I told her I had been catching walleyes out there and what I knew about the lake from a walleye perspective and the rocks on the south end...I dont know if she remembers...to say she was enthusiastic about fishing is a minor understatement...and no I wasnt the drunk guy...I may have some beverages around the campfire...but fishing is far too important to miss by being wasted while being on the water...Hi Koni!!!...keep up the enthusiasm!
Old 02-17-2005, 10:43 AM   #10 (permalink)

Hi Zman ! Gosh i met so many people out there that i talked to. This is petty neat to run into you here. Im so glad your not the drunk man that i ran into! I do remember talking to someone out there about Walleye, that was probably you. I love to fish, what can i say. I went on a couple of 24 hour fishing trips and that still wasn't long enough, i still didn't want to go home. My family say Im addicted to it and that im going to turn into a fish. Maybe i will run into you again this summer out fishing!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in