Don't Like ZM Inspections? - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2009, 02:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Don't Like ZM Inspections?

Then build or buy a rowboat. Seriously, they have many advantages over motorized and other boats:

1) They're far cheaper to build, own, and operate than any powerboat. I have all of $200 invested in the boat I use for fishing most often. It takes no gas, requires no state registration, and the oars should last for decades.

2) No trailer is needed for most reasonably sized rowboats. That means no registration on the trailer, fixing lighting problems, flat tires, etc. I have built five rowboats, and three fit in the back of a pickup or on a roof rack. A wheelbarrow tire or two will make a simple dolly to get the boat to the water. Even my two larger rowboats are actually hand launched with a dolly, even though they go to the lake on a utility trailer.

3) Rowing is a perfect way to control trolling speed.

4) It's good exercise even if you don't catch a fish.

5) It's quiet and odorless (depending somewhat on the fisherman).

6) You can launch from just about anywhere on the shore that you can walk to, mostly making up for the usual argument in favor of powerboats - that you can get to the fishing spot across the lake quicker.

7) A simple rowboat requires little or no annual maintenance. My boats are plywood sheathed with fiberglass cloth set in epoxy on the outside. Inside and out are primed with Kilz and painted with standard latex housepaint. The latex will wear off after enough use, but I only touch up every two or three years, if I feel like it. It takes less than 10 minutes.

Most have room for your kid, hottie, dog, or whatever. You can stand up in some flat-bottomed models to cast. They are much roomier than any kayak, and more stable for youngsters or others who are wary of kayaks.

9) You can build one with your kids.

10) Rowboats are significantly faster than any belly boat or mini-pontoon when it's time to get off the water right now, and you can cover a lot more of the lake in a given period of time.

11) Even top-of-the-line custom made spruce oars are a tiny fraction of the cost of an outboard motor, much less than an electric trolling motor. Sporting goods store oars are less than the cost of a case of beer in many cases.

12) You can access many lakes that have great fishing but are hard to reach with trailers, difficult to cover in belly boats and similar contraptions, or simply off-limits to trailered or motorized craft.

13) Homeowners' insurance is all you need. No separate policy or rider for your boat and trailer.

14) If you're caught in a storm, you can beach the boat and flip it over to hide from the hail, or prop it up on one side and enjoy a cigar while waiting for the storm to pass.

15) You have right of way over vessels under power or sail, although many powerboaters don't seem to know or care about this.

Am I missing any other advantages?
jakolb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2009, 02:50 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Don't Like ZM Inspections?

I can't believe I read all that. You owe me 10 minutes of my life back.
EricCO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2009, 04:56 PM   #3 (permalink)

Ya you missed the fact that if your fishing an inspected lake and get caught launching without getting the boat checked your getting ticketed....

Did I miss anything?

daiwafan25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2009, 06:12 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by suicidalslayer
I can't believe I read all that. You owe me 10 minutes of my life back.
Wow, 10 minutes to read 15 bullet points..... quick

To each their own, whatever floats your boat. Me, I like the smell of 2-stroke in the morning!
fishlip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2009, 06:20 PM   #5 (permalink)

I've often wondered if it's the folks in the rafting/tourism industry that pushed for no inspections on the paddle boats floating down the Blue, the Arkansas, the Colorado, the Yampa, etc.

But then again, as Don has mentioned, maybe I just think too much
xxxxxThat Guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2009, 11:27 PM   #6 (permalink)

So, I gather that you build your own rowboat(s). That's pretty cool! Any pics?
albow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2009, 11:36 PM   #7 (permalink)

Did this thread have anything to do with zebra mussels?

Am I missing something?
rivrunnr1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2009, 11:39 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivrunnr1
Did this thread have anything to do with zebra mussels? 

Am I missing something?
I may be wrong but I think dude is playing to the fact that you can maybe take it multiple places without having to be quarantined? I.E. Standley, Arvada. My buddy has a porte boat and instead of waiting for the 14-15 day quarantine seperatley for each lake you can be inspected and launched on both lakes on the same day if you wanted to whereas you would have to wait 2 weeks seperatley to do the same thing with a trailered boat?

It is definatley an advantage to have a boat that isnt on a trailer nowadays
Old 05-27-2009, 08:03 AM   #9 (permalink)

The main point is that hand-launched boats do not require ZM inspections, at least at the lakes I've been using - Antero, Rampart, North Catamount, among others. It's especially nice at Rampart, since trailered boats are only allowed Thurs-Sun. The rest of the week you can have the lake practically to yourself in a hand-launched boat.
jakolb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2009, 08:19 AM   #10 (permalink)

With the wind and waves we get on many of our larger bodies of water, I think a self propelled boat is just asking for trouble. On smaller bodies of water I fish out of my kayak-works great.

Advice. Wise men don't need it, fools won't heed it.
kirbydog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in