Swimbait help!!! - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2009, 12:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Swimbait help!!!

Rod Set up: 12lb flouro, 6 1/2 foot Med-Heavy Fast action Shimano Crucial.

So i would like to pick up an assortment of Swimbaits to use out here and i am honestly completely lost. I am looking at basstrix Paddle Tails but i am clueless on which hooks to use with them?

any other suggestions on Colors? i was thinking Trout, Yellow Perch/Perch, and baby Bass.

Any other types of swimbaits other then basstrix?

Thanks for the help in advance

Matt-Swimbait n00b

Knownfactor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2009, 12:52 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Swimbait help!!!

Use a very big hook. 5/0 is about the minimum for a swimbait that is roughly 5" long. It also depends on what depth you will be fishing whether you want a weighted hook or not. I use a weighted hook no matter what unless I am fishing a fluke style swimbait. Reaction Strike makes some very big hooks. So do plenty of other companies.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/catpage-TTWHK.html

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/descp...IKE-RSPPH.html

Call TW about swimbaits too as they fish them more in California and know more people who do. I think color is kind of a non-issue. pick what you think will work. Something like a flourescent pink may work, but you probably won't have much confidence. I have caught bass on a trout colored swimbait in a pond with no trout, so I'm not a firm believer in color.

marledge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2009, 01:08 PM   #3 (permalink)

If you are into the soft swimbaits heres my top picks. I like the Yum Money minnows and the Berkley hallow bodies (prefered). My favorite rig is with the Strike King tour grade shaky. You can split the belly and fish with the head concealed and it is virtulay weedless. If fish are suspended or not willing to take to the shakey I switch to the Gama swimbait hooks, BPS vertical drop hooks, any type of swimbait hook with an underspin, and finally a Blade Runner underspin. With everything mentioned you can fish those baits with many different retrieves with confidence. Basstrix look good on chomper shakys and dropshotted. Dont forget the shadalicious swimbaits either(try the sexy shad)

You can also try a 5/0 EWG with some lead insert weights and a rattle. Do everything you can to imitate a dying fish with erratic twiches and fast retrieves with sudden stops. Give them time and you will really start to like swimbaits a lot!

The rig is important. Make sure your bait is swimming perfectly straight. If all else fails though tweak your setup and make the bait swim on its side and rip it just under the surface, fast and jerky. Hold on tight

Old 05-27-2009, 01:27 PM   #4 (permalink)

your choice of colors and types of plastics to fish are going to based on a few real simple things
first the conditions you are fish (ok maybe not so simple) but you'll find small offerings in the colder slower times and larger during warmer times
you'll fish them slower in the cold and faster in hte heat
you'll aslo find natural colors like the ones you mentioned will work in most all conditions but when the water gets stained you'll find you can get the attention of a few more fish with some real bright colors and catch a few more providing they're not to spooky.

second you asked about what types and you mentioned thwe basstrix
you're going to find as a consumer you're going to want certain things in the product you buy.
I can tell you what I look for. I look for some thing that is durrable and can handle cathching a few fish befor its all torn up. I also like a plastic that doesn't float. I like them to be nutraul to sinking for nice action.
I'll also say hook is personal as well I don't fish a 5/0 like mentioned intead I look for the small more wire like hooks say ln a 1/0 or 2/0 that are and most importantly very sharp.

swim baits can be fished from bottom to top from fast to slow so try different actions to reach the fish. let them have it be for you go rippen a pro like hook set.
unclejay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2009, 09:16 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks guys!
Knownfactor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2009, 08:58 AM   #6 (permalink)

http://wired2fish.com/
front page video is a good one the berkley hollow belly swimbait.
marledge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2009, 08:45 PM   #7 (permalink)

I purchased a package of Manns swimbaits from Gander, 5.5" and they are real durable and have a great swim action $5.70 (4pack) and it comes with a hook. I've also tried YUM money and they look real cool but they're like $9 and dont come with a hook.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in