2006 rules on soft plastics - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2005, 09:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 2006 rules on soft plastics

I have a question about "artificial fly and lure only" waters next year.

The way I read them there is no scented plastics at all, but it looks like they did away with the 1.5" rule. So starting in 2006 you can use any size as long as they are unscented, right?
abomb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2005, 10:53 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: 2006 rules on soft plastics

I think that's correct, but only at waters that are "artificial fly & lure only". They're (scented plastics) ok at most places.
Old 11-30-2005, 12:59 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks James I edited my post to make it more clear.
abomb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2005, 01:14 AM   #4 (permalink)
Don In Denver

That's correct. But "scented" includes artificials made with salt injected. And there's a ton of those, especially tubes.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2005, 07:14 AM   #5 (permalink)

What a nightmare to enforce!!!!!
Neal/CO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2005, 08:35 AM   #6 (permalink)
Don In Denver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal/CO
What a nightmare to enforce!!!!!
Yes, and a nightmare for the fishermen who try to stay legal. I had a discussion with one of the CDOW folks out at Bass Pro Shops on opening weekend about this and they certainly do not seem open to discussing any sort of compromise to allow lures with salt.
Old 11-30-2005, 09:00 AM   #7 (permalink)

at the dow meeting that i went to, they said absolutely no way they were going to allow any scented baits or salted baits. i asked about a 8"worm they said no way. they are not going to flexible at all about this rule so be very careful. btw this rule came about because of some technique some people were using up at spinney.
afishman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2005, 10:52 AM   #8 (permalink)

Scents and salts work by "baiting" fish to take and/or hold onto your hook. Scents and salts are therefore baits, and it doesn't surprise me that states define them as such, and any lure that uses them to attact or trigger bites. The idea of artificals is that they are supposed to only appeal to the visual senses of fish.
Cutthroat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2005, 04:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
Don In Denver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutthroat
Scents and salts work by "baiting" fish to take and/or hold onto your hook.*
I don't have a problem with it except that now I have to specifically hunt out plastics that don't have salt, empty my boat of any Yamamoto stuff (cuz all the Senkos and Yamamoto grubs have some salt) before I hit any artificial only water and create an entire new set of lure boxes for unsalted artificials.* It's expensive and it's a huge pain in the ass.

It seems to me that a reasonable compromise would have been to outlaw soft plastics that contain fish "food" such as Yum and Gulp and Power Bait and leave those that only have salt as legal.* The purpose of the reg was to keep people from fishing an "artificial" passively when it was likely that the "artificial" would be eaten and swallowed by the fish, causing mortality.* I have never had a fish "swallow" and "eat" a salted tube or a Senko.* Salt is promoted as a substance that may cause a fish to hang onto a lure slightly longer after you have deceived him into biting it, not as fish "food".* Yum and Gulp and Power Bait, for example, are specifically touted (and engineered by the manufacturers) to be actual fish food.*

I'm all for protecting fish populations through the use of reasonable regulations, but it seems to me that the outlawing of soft plastics that contain salt only crosses the line.*

In my opinion there was a less burdensome alternative that would have netted the same protection, at less cost in dollars and hassle to anglers.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
fishinguitars

I agree don...I still think to have a fishing license as an adult you should have to take a class. *Covering ethics, *how to properly handle and release fish, *and many other things that someone new to fishing may not know. *I've seen people handle pike at the rocky mountain arsenal...it wouldn't matter if they hooked those fish with a griffiths gnat or topsluggers4's rainbow deciever those people had no clue on how to grab a pike much less handle one long enough to release it. *Instead of instituting more rules and regulations why shouldn't the d.o.w. try to educate more fisherman. *I think small tube jigs under 1.5 will account for a higher mortality rate in mountain reservoirs filled with large trout. *Opposed to a 3 inch salted tube or curly tail jig. *Even the single tubes you buy at the smaller tackle shops are salted...I think its a unenforceable rule that will only cause confusion...Can you imagine being the d.o.w. officer asking to sniff or taste a lure...how else will you be able to tell if its salt impregnated *I follow the rules but like don it will be a pain setting up yet another box for certain waters. * *

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in