new Rod/Reel help - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2009, 08:54 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default new Rod/Reel help

I want to get a new rod/reel for front range fishing. I have a decent ultralight setup with 4 lb line that has been fairly effective for mountain lake trout. But I feel this perhaps isn't the best tool for the closer to home lakes.

What would you recommend for a newbie for bass or walleyes on the flats? My budget is anything less than $100 for the rod and reel... looking on basspro's website it seems that's probably doable, but I'm overwhelmed with all the choices!

Thank you in advance!
Achurnside is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2009, 09:57 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: new Rod/Reel help

Bought a couple of these Basspro Mega Tournament reels when they went on sale. But, I'd pay full price. Used on Canada for 7 days, and many other days since. They come with two spools--you can use the plastic one for real light line which makes the real pretty light as well. 8 Bearings, $36 bucks, and tough:

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...001000_100-1-2

Bought one of these for my dad when it went on sale. He used it in Canada and said it was really nice. It's a 10 bearing reel, super smooth:

I've used this one for two years. Ice and open water. Great reel as well:

Old 07-16-2009, 12:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

I just bought my wife's mom a pretty nice set up at Cabela's for around $100. They have their last year's XML rods marked down from $139 to $50.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...374&hasJS=true

Here's a nice reel to go with it.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...333&hasJS=true

It's a little over $100, but the combo with the 2009 model rod is listed at $189. There are some less expensive ones on sale too...check Cabelas!
giant squid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2009, 08:52 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the suggestions. I swung by bass pro shop and picked up one of their tournement rods... and for reel I went with a Pflueger President. I took it out tonight and second cast had a giant rats nest... seems bass pro put the line on the wrong way. ARG! Oh well. I can fix that easy enough... thought I was saving time having them do it for me.
Achurnside is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2009, 09:05 PM   #5 (permalink)

I just spent several weeks lookin for a rod to replace my ultra light. I couldn't believe every manufacturer has thier own standard on what a med action w/ a fast tip is. The B.P.S. rod was perfect exactly what I was lookin for a short rod with a fairly sensitive tip with enough back bone for good hooksets , and it was only 35.00 . The only other one that came close to what I wanted was a Loomis that was 160.00.
Old 07-17-2009, 07:35 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achurnside
Thanks for the suggestions. I swung by bass pro shop and picked up one of their tournement rods... and for reel I went with a Pflueger President. I took it out tonight and second cast had a giant rats nest... seems bass pro put the line on the wrong way. ARG! Oh well. I can fix that easy enough... thought I was saving time having them do it for me.
I bought a nice set up for my wife for Mother's day. The first time she used it, she said hey there's something wrong with this. When I reel the line is coming off. Must have been the same person the spooled your line as well !!! When your 40 miles round trip from there, it doesn't make you happy !!!
craigknws2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in