Fixing a rod's eyelets? - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2009, 06:28 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Fixing a rod's eyelets?

NOT TIPS.

Yeah, I checked yesterday at a couple stores. Nada. Only tips. I had two eyelets bust. Just the mold part. The whole eyelet didn't bust....just the soft part. Now I just have a couple metal eyelets that will cause abrasion to the line. Both near the middle of the rod.

Isn't there a way around getting replacements? I don't mind getting replacements, but I can't find any. Is there a remedy, like some type of mold or something that you can apply to the eyelet?
rivrunnr1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2009, 06:39 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Fixing a rod's eyelets?

Once the ceramic, titanium, or plastic ring is gone... it's shot. You'll need to replace the broken guides (eyelets).
Try Mudhole: http://www.mudhole.com/
Old 07-29-2009, 07:46 AM   #3 (permalink)

I have had that same problem. One of the bait caster rods I use right now has two of them missing. I have never had any problem with them abrading the line but, I do think they reduce sensitivity a little bit. Here is a great site to git that kind of stuff http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/fishing-rod-guides/

Hobby: defeating the progressives...
djfisherman2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2009, 09:25 AM   #4 (permalink)

Kyle, pay for the eyes and I'll hook it up, I can even measure them so you know what to order. Mudhole is kind of expensive on shipping though, flat rate $11 and some change per regular order. I'm sure Janns is cheaper, and there are others that will have what you need. What kind of rod is it, I may be able to find out what's already on it. And you can ask Kurt about the fix later today, I straightened the guides on his swimbait rod, toon one all the way off and put it back on, I'm getting it back to him this afternoon.
koldkut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2009, 10:07 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the links guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koldkut
Kyle, pay for the eyes and I'll hook it up, I can even measure them so you know what to order. Mudhole is kind of expensive on shipping though, flat rate $11 and some change per regular order. I'm sure Janns is cheaper, and there are others that will have what you need. What kind of rod is it, I may be able to find out what's already on it. And you can ask Kurt about the fix later today, I straightened the guides on his swimbait rod, toon one all the way off and put it back on, I'm getting it back to him this afternoon.
It's just an ugly stick. I suppose if it's a pain in the arse, I could prolly just buy a new one for $30 or whatev. But I was hoping there might be an easy way. Ill have to check prices on eyelets to see if it's worth it.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:11 AM   #6 (permalink)

Yo kyle, you may check the old T&M building. That store has been re-opened by a real nice guy that builds and repairs rods. He hooked my buddy up with two eyelets for 5 bucks each installed. He is a good guy and local. That shop is on lakeview just east of prarie.

Old 07-29-2009, 10:13 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivrunnr1
Thanks for the links guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koldkut
It's just an ugly stick. I suppose if it's a pain in the arse, I could prolly just buy a new one for $30 or whatev. But I was hoping there might be an easy way. Ill have to check prices on eyelets to see if it's worth it.
probably a buck a piece, or if you have an old rod with a similar eyelets, you can rob Peter to pay Paul. Single foot or double foot guides, and finish type? If you have the rings that go into the frames and they aren't damaged, a half-ass fix may work, simple epoxy , 3 drops placed on the joint between the frame and ring top and bottom will hold it for some time.

Or just head down to the place Jason has mentioned.
koldkut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2009, 10:16 AM   #8 (permalink)

Hey Kyle, one more thing. I have an extra ugly stick tip section from a two piece rod. You can have it. You can either take the guides off of it to use on yours or you can put it on the end of yours if it fits. Let me know.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:52 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyey
Hey Kyle, one more thing. I have an extra ugly stick tip section from a two piece rod. You can have it. You can either take the guides off of it to use on yours or you can put it on the end of yours if it fits. Let me know.
Now that I think about it, I may have a bottom section of a rod laying around that just need a tip. I might snag that beast from you and ill just have a new rod. If not, I might be able to take the eyelets off that section.

I might have to come by and grab ya one of these afternoons.
Old 07-29-2009, 04:46 PM   #10 (permalink)

Duck tape.
hobiecat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in