St. Croix Bass Mojo Rod??? - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2009, 09:39 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default St. Croix Bass Mojo Rod???

Has anyone used the St. Croix Bass Mojo spinning rod? I was out at chatfield 2 nights ago and had a heck of a time getting a hook set on those little small mouth. Took a look at my rods and they all have flimsy arse tips so I decided to upgrade. I dnt want to spend an arm and leg on a rod yet so I'm lookin on the cheaper side for now. Anyone tried this rod? Or have a better suggestion?
jduncan98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2009, 09:58 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: St. Croix Bass Mojo Rod???

I have not used it personally, but the tip will be just fine along with the hookset. I know plenty of people who like this rod and have more than one. FYI, it's built on the st. croix premier blank, so it's a quality rod. If you are looking in that price range, it's going to be very hard to beat. There are better rods out there, but they are not 100 bucks. Handled the Skeet Reese Tessera rods the other day and they were definitely heavier than the Mojos and the Mojos seemed to balance better.
marledge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2009, 10:00 AM   #3 (permalink)

I've got several of them for both guiding and personal fishing. I've also spoken with a lot of folks that have them and we all agree - its a great rod at that price range. Mojo is also one of the most popular rod series St Croix has ever produced. Great components and feel to the blank.

Depending on how you normally fish (lure weights, line weights,etc) check out either the 6'8" medium power, extra fast action or the 6'9" medium light power, extra fast action. Both are excellent spinning rod choices for smallie/walleye fishing. Let me know if you have other specific questions about an 'Croixs! CL
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2009, 10:04 AM   #4 (permalink)

If you are doing all around rod, I would agree on the medium power. Medium light is too flimsy in some cases (heavier lures), especially if you don't have another rod.

CL knows his stuff on these rods. He has at least one or two.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:18 AM   #5 (permalink)

Agreed Marledge - the medium power is the best all around choice and that S68MXF is my favorite spinning rod build - period. Croix makes it in several series including Avid, Mojo, Legend Tournament, Elite, and Extreme. Its my choice for jerkbaits, tiny crankbaits, a variety of soft plastics rigging, poppers, and weightless soft plastics.

The S69MLXF almost always has an 1/8 jighead with Gulp minnow, leech, or craw on it. Occasionally it'll get a split shot or drop shot rig.

There are plenty of 'Croixs in my shop including examples of every series they make- if anyone wants to try one before purchasing, drop me an email. If I'm around, and you're in Ft Collins area, you can try them. We've fished just about everything they make at some point, so I'm glad to help with rod choices. CL
Old 09-03-2009, 11:40 AM   #6 (permalink)

I rock the 6' 8" medium xtra fast and I love it. If they told me I could only have one rod for top, middle, and bottom this is what I would take. You can fish everything with it if you need to. The locker will have a couple extra Mojo sticks in it next year for sure
Old 09-03-2009, 02:09 PM   #7 (permalink)

I picked one up the other day at Bass Pro and got it out on the water today---best rod I have ever owned. Most of my rods are close to the $50 and this rod was a major upgrade. Flipping a tube, I could feel even the tiniest little taps and it has good backbone too when fighting a fish. I was told at BPS that this rod is about as good as it gets for the $80-100 price range. They said that the difference betw. this rod and a $300 rod is the weight (the rod is not heavy by my standards though). I would highly recommend picking up one of these.
matt97c83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2009, 02:29 PM   #8 (permalink)

The 6'8" MXF weighs 3.9 ounces. By comparison, the Legend Elite weighs 3.7 ($320 rod). The difference is not in the weight, it's the sensitivity of the blank in this case. Though typically, the difference is weight between 100 and 300 dollar rods. If you bought a 100 dollar BPS rod and a 300 dollar St. Croix, the difference might be 1, 2, or 3 ounces. Sounds silly, but it makes a difference. My casting outfit (rod and reel - 9.9 ounces) weighs less than most people's reels.

Also, quality of the grip, exposed blank or not. Line guides (some can handle braid, some cant). And then cork. There are plenty of things that play in, but feel and sensitivity are what most of us will notice right off the bat. Also, the Mojo only has a 5 year warranty whereas the Tourneys have a lifetime warranty.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:13 AM   #9 (permalink)

where is it made??
Old 09-04-2009, 12:47 AM   #10 (permalink)

Mojo is made in mexico, all the other st. croixs made in the u.s.a. hence why it is so cheap.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in