Tidewater Kayak Anglers Assoc. Tourney - Hampton Roads, VA. - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2009, 09:35 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Tidewater Kayak Anglers Assoc. Tourney - Hampton Roads, VA.

Hello to all,

Just got done fishing the TKAA tourney. This year we had 220 people register for this, and id be willing to bet at least 200 people fished.

This year, the weather left a lot to be desired. We hat strong winds that were prob. sustained at 20 mph, gusting to 30 ish. with a Nor'easter blowing in, in our area the water gets big in a hurry. One of my toughest days on the water.

I started fishing at 0630, getting to my favorite red spot at 0700. This is where Murphy comes into play. This spot receives very little pressure, and is a tough spot to find. I had those fish patterned all year, down to lures/baits/colors/times/conditions. The redfish portion of my slam should have been a shoe in. After 1000, with my tail between my legs, I left. I knew I was done. On my way back to the launch, I decided to try a flat I had always had luck on. I was throwing lures to no avail. I decided that I just wanted a break, and I would stay right up to the time I had to weigh in. I hooked a shrimp on a circle hook, cast and let it drift. First cast out I hooked up with a nice fish, but how nice?

This was about average for me in this area. But today, I knew that this could be the one. (note the tag on the top of her) Finally I got a measurable fish at 1130. I had 3 hours to fish prior to having to get loaded up and weigh in. I tried for another red, hopefully bigger (All the time spent not catching I decided the magic number for reds was 25"). I had one strike but that was it. From here I went for flounder. None to be had for me. I just needed a 12" and I would be 2/3 of the way for my slam. It did not happen. The Black Sea Bass were there and of some decent size to waste my time. I went in search of specks. I ended up with one rat speck 8" and a rat red 12". I went back in and weighed in. At weigh in there was a lot of buzz about my 22" red, then 15 min. prior to the end of the tourney came a 22 1/5", a 22 3/4" and a 24" red. 4th place for me (a few other 22" came in, but I had them beat by weigh in time). Fun time and just 2" off a new boat. The largest fish today was a 24 3/4" flounder which won that division.
The trout division was won with a 16 12" speck. The Striper division was a 20" (I think) fish. This year we had a LMB division (Check out http://www.kayakbassfishing.com/) Chad Hoover, the founder of KBF Really came through. a 20 1/2" LMB (again it was very close if not the length) brought home a new Ride 135. What a great time with some awesome prizes. If your in SE Virginia, check us out www.tkaa.org/smf

Tight Lines,
William
www.tkaa.org

http://coastalkayakfishing.blogspot.com/
wragulsky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2009, 10:05 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Tidewater Kayak Anglers Assoc. Tourney - Hampton Roads, VA.

tremain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2009, 03:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default Re: Tidewater Kayak Anglers Assoc. Tourney - Hampton Roads, VA.

Nice Ride!
www.tkaa.org

http://coastalkayakfishing.blogspot.com/
wragulsky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in