Which one do I get?

• MotorGuide 105#

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • MinnKota 101#

Votes: 0 0.0%

MotorGuide or MinnKota?

5K views 39 replies 23 participants last post by  giggyhead 
#1 ·
I recently bought a 96 Skeeter ZX300 and I need a new electric motor for it (It currently has a dinky 55#)  I need some help making a decision! Please give reasons for your choice :)

#4 ·
Motorguide!

11 years and still working great!

Only a 56 pound but it still will hold me in the same spot when waves are crashing the bow of a 20' boat.

#7 ·
min kota terrova with auto pilot the 101 is a beast ran itsabigun's 24foot pontoon for a week with only 1 recharge, and the auto pilot will work from anywhere in the boat with the remote. no wires to trip over. i have a 80 on my 19 foot lowe and am very happy with it. the 70 is 24v and the 101 is 36v if you have room for another battery you will be able to pull skiers with it, but if room is a problem the 80 will do you fine.

it was a happy day when i got rid of my motor guide 54

#20 ·
Honestly for a bass boat, I would be more concerned with the mount than the brand, either one will have superstars and lemons. The cable steer mounts are sweet for retrieve and deploy, electric steer mounts suck at this. It is nice to be spot hopping and be able to just grab a rope and lift.

Cable steer is instant, no electric delay or not pushing a button far enough, But with a 100+lb thrust motor plan on a lot of thrust steer and not being able to take your foot off of it at high power settings. Electrics will stay in the same direction whether your foot is on it or not. I have talked to some guys that tighten the shaft on their cable steers to prevent this but then the steering is not as smooth or easy to use.

Nothing sucks more than to be fishing into a big headwind, hook a big fish, then have the boat doing cookies while you are trying to land the fish because your foot is not on the pedal.

The last time I had the choice, I went with a Minnkota electric steer.

#21 ·
My Minn Kota's have been more durable on average, and you can get parts (like props) and accessories in more places locally.

I'd recommend cable steer for ease of deployment and most importantly, for precise control when working banks. For open water or trolling maybe electric steering is good, but it drives me crazy trying to accurately control a boat close to cover with electric steering. Cables can be steered by feel alone. Consider flush mounting the peddle too, and get the most thrust poundage you can afford and that is reasonable for your boat. More power always beats less when it comes to t-motors - or any other motor in my opinion! CL

#23 ·
HOGMASTER said:
k0diak said:
marledge said:
KVD uses Motorguide and he is a trolling motor freak. I have never owned one. That said, he probably has a very special trolling motor and very good maintenance crew. :)
hahaha

He also gets paid and or discounted merchandise.
Andy you also get paid and get disounts!!!!! :D :D ;D
hahah!

Not like KVD!! :(

#24 ·
k0diak said:
HOGMASTER said:
k0diak said:
marledge said:
KVD uses Motorguide and he is a trolling motor freak. I have never owned one. That said, he probably has a very special trolling motor and very good maintenance crew. :)
hahaha

hahah!

Stop lying!! ;D You only have like 500 curado's or something like tha!!

#25 ·
HOGMASTER said:
k0diak said:
HOGMASTER said:
k0diak said:
marledge said:
hahaha

hahah!

Stop lying!! ;D You only have like 500 curado's or something like tha!!
:D :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.