Cost of Fishing? / Should I bring my boat? - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2009, 07:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Cost of Fishing? / Should I bring my boat?

Hi everybody. I'm at a point in my career where I must make a move, and the jobs market here in Florida is so bad that I have no choice but to relocate. I spent some time in CO on business and really enjoyed it, so I am considering braving the cold and taking a new job. Since I am absolutely obsessed with fishing, that is one of the major things I have to consider. For the record, I would likely end up somewhere on the south side of Denver.

I know, I know. You don't need any more damn fishermen than you already got. I know the feeling (this is about the time the "snowbirds" from NY, NJ, CT, MA start showing up and I hate it.) But don't blame me, blame the economy and your pretty mountains. On the plus side, I am 99% a C&R fisherman, not into combat fishing, appreciate nature, and do my best to leave an area better than I found it.

I've spent the last week reading about 3000 threads on this site (yes) and still have a few questions for ya'll:

1) Here in FL you buy your fishing license and then go basically anywhere you want with that license. There are a few places where you have to pay to launch a boat but mostly in south FL. In CO, it looks like many of the lakes can cost several hundred dollars per year to fish. Yikes, I don't mind paying for a well stocked and managed fishery, but that seems steep, and from what you all seem to indicate, the places aren't managed for fishermen anyways... Are all the reservoirs this way, or are there plenty of low cost areas to go to as well?

2) I currently have a Palm Beach Whitecap 161. It's a 16' center console. Not really the kind of boat I would expect to see in CO, but I don't want to sell it if I don't have to. It runs perfect and I've never had a lick of trouble. I'm smart enough to know when I got a keeper. On the other hand, that's a loooooooong way to tow a boat. The damn thing also tends to trap water in the hull when it sits on the trailer so I am thinking this will likely be a problem with inspections. What's the best thing to do: bring it, sell it and buy another boat in CO, or sell it and just fish from shore?

3) If I did bring the boat, it seems that there are not many houses with boat garages. Do most municipalities prohibit parking boats in the side yards? (This is a very common ordinance/HOA restriction here.) I was specifically looking at Roxborough Park, Sedalia, Castle Pines, maybe Littleton or Columbine, or maybe Golden. Or do most people use storage?

4) I used to be big into 4x4. I am not the kind of guy who wants to rut up a trail and tear stuff up, but I am also the kind of guy who does not like to get stuck if he can help it. I read several reports where guys were driving to alpine lakes with their trucks. Here in FL, offroad travel is fairly restricted (usually due to a bunch of hicks absolutely destroying stuff) so I don't want to get my hopes up about this. Can anybody give me some pointers on wilderness areas that allow off road travel so I can look into it? I would LOVE the ability to wheel to an alpine lake, fish, and camp.

Any info you would be kind enough to provide is much appreciated, whether it relates to these questions or not. Thanks!
Crazy Fingers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2009, 07:42 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Cost of Fishing? / Should I bring my boat?

Here ya go--

1. There are only a few places where you have to pay outrageous access fees. Larimer County, Boulder Reservoir, and Standley Lake are the main ones. Aurora Reservoir has a separate per use fee, too, but it's worth it. Some of the federal impoundments cost a few bucks a day, too. For most of the rest of the state, your $55 state parks pass, fishing license, and the $25 or so boat registration fee is "all" it costs you.

2. A center console boat is not very useful here, in my opinion. I would sell it down there, where you might actually get something for it. There are lots of boat bargains around up here if you look a little.

3. That varies by neighborhood. The older areas tend not to have thodse restrictions and the newer subdivisions often do.

4. There are lots of areas up here like that.

Old 10-21-2009, 07:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

I am a native, but by no means an expert. You will like fishing in Colorado. There are many diverse opportunities across the state year round.

Fishing license--one license covers the entire state. The only place you can't go is private lakes. You can buy an extra rod stamp, meaning you can fish a maximum of two rods at once. It's like $35 for the year. Colorado State Parks has a bunch of reservoirs. A yearly pass is like $60 or so. Google it. There are plenty are other federal rec areas, but most fees are under $5 a day. ANRA--arapahoe national rec area is a good spot. I think it's like $35 for the year. Someone else can tell you about the boating registration, but I think it's like $35 a year.

The boat sounds fine. Key in colorado is deep-v hull because we get big wind at times up in the mountains. Usually calm in mornings, picks up as day goes on. Inspections should be fine. We are a much, much drier climate. Also you don't need to re-inspect if you fish the same lake you fished last time. There are many, many places to fish from shore. Oh, and there's awesome ice-fishing too. We also have fresh water salmon ("kokanee"). And of course, many good bass fisheries.

4X4--plenty of places to go. You can also hike to fish many "high" lakes that are stocked by planes. The number of spots are too numerous to even begin to mention.

Good Luck

j

Advertisement

Old 10-21-2009, 08:11 PM   #4 (permalink)

Crazy Fingers,

I too a southern gent from GA, GO DAWGS, (just had to it was too easy) but any who. I LM bass fished all of my life from the shore or from a jon boat. Since I move out here a little over a year ago, my LM bass rods have done nothing but collected dust. I've used them twice only to focus on catching SM bass and it was just as easy as catching LM bass but only using smaller lures and an ever so soft take!

Now with that said, I have totally fallen in love with fly fishing for trout. It's a whole new skill to me that I am fascinated with. Now I'm not suggesting you would do the same but the trout fishing is just too good out here and convenient. So no need for a boat if you decide to go that direction.

If your not into the fly fishing thing, no biggie, you can use similar techniques but just be prepared to modify your game...What I'm getting at is that the still water fishing is a little different and the lakes/reservoirs out here are NO where the size that we have in the south. I too would recommend selling your boat down there cause I rarely see a center console boat. Or keep it and be a trend starter. What I would suggest is finding a bass boat and trailer that out here. I'm sure you could get a better deal in the south on a bass boat than you can out here.

Thanks just may take on it, that's just my experience since I moved to this great state of Colorado!

Cheers,
Carp

cocarp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2009, 08:37 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoCarp

If your not into the fly fishing thing, no biggie, you can use similar techniques but just be prepared to modify your game...What I'm getting at is that the still water fishing is a little different and the lakes/reservoirs out here are NO where the size that we have in the south. I too would recommend selling your boat down there cause I rarely see a center console boat. Or keep it and be a trend starter. What I would suggest is finding a bass boat and trailer that out here. I'm sure you could get a better deal in the south on a bass boat than you can out here.
I can enjoy almost any kind of fishing or fishing technique. Part of what interests me about fishing is understanding the different animals, how they interact, and how they each have their niche in the ecosystem that they exploit to survive. And of course how you can use that knowledge to catch them, which gives you even more knowledge about how the ecosystem really works. So fishing is more than just a way to kill some time, it's educating yourself about nature.

Now I have to admit that I am partial to screaming drags and huge jumping fish, but have been known to spend many afternoons chasing shellcrackers on ultralight tackle too. I would love to give stream fishing a try. It looks like some of those trout can get pretty big in that small water!

Although my technique is pretty poor, I actually used to fly fish down here a lot for bass and bream. A golf course pond, the 6 wt, and a handful of Dixie Devils is a recipe for fun you ask me!

I don't know about that ice fishing though. When it gets down to 40 degrees at night I shiver like a scared girl and turn the heater on.

As for a boat, now that you mention it, bass boats are dirt cheap around here. Guys moving down here bring them and then find out that they aren't cut out for the salt water. Then their resale value is low since few people fish only in fresh water... so your idea of selling that boat and buying a bass boat here is a good one as long as you can get one that isn't salted up.

Don't a lot of people there use the Lund style aluminum boats though? Are they preferable to bass boats?

Thanks for everybody's help! Keep it coming!
Crazy Fingers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2009, 08:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Fingers
Don't a lot of people there use the Lund style aluminum boats though? Are they preferable to bass boats?
It all depends on what kind of fishing you plan on doing. I think the aluminum deep vee boats are more versatile. A bass boat just wouldn't look right with downriggers and a bimini top IMO
Old 10-21-2009, 10:59 PM   #7 (permalink)

Its no bass boat Bait Monkey.

I think it will be a great all around 16 foot fishing boat. Lots of access to fish from any side of the boat, jigging or casting room for several people. A great boat for any Colorado fishing! The only thing it doesn't have is an enclosure for nasty weather...
tal0362 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2009, 11:09 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAL0362
Its no bass boat Bait Monkey.
I never said he had a bass boat! I answered his question!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Fingers
Old 10-22-2009, 09:50 AM   #9 (permalink)

Yea I haven't gotten into the whole Ice fishing thing either, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't get it a try. Don't let the weather stand in your way in regards to moving here, Denver is super mild.

Like Talo says, it just depends on what type of fishing you want to do. If you want to troll the you might not want to sell your boat since i'd prefer a center consoles vs a Lund style of a boat. Though a Lund will have more protection against the elements which can literally come and go in a matter of 20-30 minutes. On the other hand if you want to flip and jig then get a bass boat.

When you get here you need to take a ride up to Granby Lake and fish for the monster Lakers up there!!!! Talk about ripping line!
cocarp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2009, 10:14 AM   #10 (permalink)

Based on your questions you are not going to like it here. Utah has a pretty good job outlook.
EricCO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in