Saskatchewan DIY help! - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2010, 03:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Saskatchewan DIY help!

I'm trying to put a trip together for my wife and I. Canada for Walleye, Muskie, Pike. Does anyone have any places they could recommend for a nice cabin rental that's close to some good walkin fishing? I just have no clue about where to go, where to start. We dont want to hire a fishing guide and are trying to keep costs down. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Tim
timpatico is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2010, 06:10 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Saskatchewan DIY help!

I fished lake Tobin about 10 years ago....cheap cabins, boat rentals, good pike fishing in June and decent walleyes out of the river, all for fairly cheap. Ill see if i can find the info for you when i get home....
Old 02-18-2010, 08:41 PM   #3 (permalink)

call the saskatchewan dept of tourism and tell them what you are looking for and they will send you a bunch of info. most lodges up there include a boat, motor and gas in the price of the cabin. i was suprised how cheep it was, years ago we got the cabin, boat, licenses, hunting guide for 800 a week. we fished from 8am till 1pm then hunted bears from 3pm to 11pm. we were worn out when we got home
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2010, 08:43 AM   #4 (permalink)

I would recommend renting a boat and hiring a guide for the first day. Both lakes in northern Sask. that I have been to had great fishing, but I doubt we would have caught many fish with out a boat or a guide to show us where to fish. You still have to know where the fish are to catch them. You might give Robert with GS Marina a call. He runs the marina on Last Mountain Lake just north of Regina. He has been very helpful in helping me set up an ice fishing trip up there. His web address is www.gsmarina.com.
mrwelte is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2010, 09:15 AM   #5 (permalink)

you do need a boat to fish the 2 lakes we fished. there was no shore access, the only way you could fish without a boat wae from the dock. another lodge had about 200 yds of beach, that was all the access on about 70 miles of lakeshore.

a guide is a must for one day!!! we didnt have a guide the first day and only caught about 10 fish for 3 of us. the next day a guide was available, and it was another story then. what he taught us was that we had to stay no more than 20 feet from shore and pitch 1/4 oz lead heads with frozen,salted minnows to a foot from shore. lindy rigs and bottom bouncers didnt work at all, you were breaking off constantly. spinners and spoons worked somewhat, but not as good as minnows. worms worked but they were very costly. i think you can now take your own worms across the border,only if they are in a paper bedding, they dont allow dirt across
Old 02-19-2010, 10:39 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for the advice! I had no idea of anywhere to start looking as i've never been north of Yellowstone. Of course every website up there says they're the best, but a referral goes a long way. Thanks again for the help.

Tim
timpatico is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in