Headlight keeps burning out- 96 polaris indy sport tour 2 up - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2010, 06:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Headlight keeps burning out- 96 polaris indy sport tour 2 up

Has anyone had this issue and is it an easy fix. I am new at snow machines and have had a great time in only 2 outings on my sled. I had to replace my bulb after the first day at Granby. Now it only turned on for about 5 min and went out. Dash lights also go out but my brake light works.

It does have high beams also but this last time it would not work. Any help on this issue would be great. I hate to take it to a dealer if it is an easy fix...Thanks in advance.
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2010, 07:00 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Headlight keeps burning out- 96 polaris indy sport tour 2 up

Do you have a 12 volt test lamp? They only cost a couple of bucks. It's pretty much a light bulb and two leads, one red and one black. You can start to check your wiring yourself using one and make sure you are getting power to your headlight and dash lights. Also you can use a 12 volt source (carefully) such as a car battery or battery charger and two leads to check your bulb to see if it is really bad or not.
albow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2010, 07:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

Check all the connections! Most electrical problems are due to poor connections.

I'd especially check your grounds if your burning out bulbs.
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2010, 09:34 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks guys, I will start trying to narrow it down. I have a volt meter that should do the trick.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:29 AM   #5 (permalink)

make sure that there isnt a crack in the lens, i am pretty sure that uses a halogen bulb and if any water gets in there and touches that bulb when it is hot it will burn it out...
Old 02-23-2010, 06:43 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiehughes
make sure that there isnt a crack in the lens, i am pretty sure that uses a halogen bulb and if any water gets in there and touches that bulb when it is hot it will burn it out...
in that same vein... oil from your fingerprints on a halogen bulb will cause it to burn out as well. alway handle them with gloves or a tissue.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:23 AM   #7 (permalink)

I have that same sled and I doubt that you have a halogen bulb, but just standard old filiment style light bulb. If it is burning them out , you have a overvoltage condition, if you keep putting them in they will keep burning out, need to check your voltage from the charging system, should be running like 13.5 volts max, I beleive there is a voltage regulator, little square black thing, on those polaris that control the voltage. get a meter and check it out...lights out
Bobco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2010, 11:51 AM   #8 (permalink)

Bobco is right on the money with this one. Sounds like your Voltage Regulator to me.
corpeleven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2010, 06:27 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobco
I have that same sled and I doubt that you have a halogen bulb, but just standard old filiment style light bulb. If it is burning them out , you have a overvoltage condition, if you keep putting them in they will keep burning out, need to check your voltage from the charging system, should be running like 13.5 volts max, I beleive there is a voltage regulator, little square black thing, on those polaris that control the voltage. get a meter and check it out...lights out
The guy at the motorcycle place in Aurora also stated this. Where can I find a new voltage regulator?
Old 02-23-2010, 07:19 PM   #10 (permalink)

Did you check yours with the voltmeter? Vickery Motorsports (Polaris dealer) may have your voltage regulator or they can probably order it for you. You could probably also find it online.
albow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in