Question.... - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2010, 06:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Question....

so i ordered the Mitchell 300xe combo off ganders website and recieved it today, never used mitchell's product line before but i thought id try it out........

http://www.gandermountain.com/modper...1&merchID=4006

says it holds 210 yards at 10lbs.......what would this equal out to at 6lb test?
anyone ever use mitchell products or this one spacif......
ect ect........
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2010, 07:41 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Question....

I've used Mitchell 300 Spinning Reels all my life...there should be a conversion table in the instructions or there may be some markings on the reel itself.

They last forever, require little maintenance, perform well.
TheUkrainian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2010, 07:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

I have a Mitchell 300 reel that I bought new over 50 years ago and it still works, but at that age it has to be taken apart and greased every spring. I also have a couple of Mitchell 300X (Gold) reels that are only a couple of years old, and they are excellent 11-bearing reels. I don't know what difference the "E" in the model name makes, though.

For a rough approximation for comparing line capacities, you can just go by the ratio of line diameters. For example, if the reel holds 210 yd. of 10 lb. mono which is 0.012" in diameter and 6 lb. is 0.009" in diameter, the new capacity for switching from 10 lb. to 6 lb. would be 210 x 0.012 / 0.009 = 280 yd.

W. E.
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2010, 08:58 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to oleyjrjr Send a message via Yahoo to oleyjrjr

Chalk up another life long Mitchell user - 300s and 310s. I have many of them still left and working after 40-50 years. Great reels - easy to work on - last forever - take a beating and keep on reeling...
Old 03-24-2010, 09:18 PM   #5 (permalink)

thanks fellas. really do appreciate info,

walking eagle, awesome smarts man! thx.

i looked and the 6'0 rod came w\ the 308xe but the 300xe that i got w\ my 6'6 rod is a lil bit bigger than my normal phuglar\ shakespere reels, so the 308 must be a smaller reel... this xe (which i dont know what the 'x' o the 'e' stands for) has an oversized bail (in thinkness) and a dual disk drag, thx fartman lol and ukrain...... only says 10lbs at 210yrds.... thats it........

so might i ask this walking....... sense 6lb is at 0.012 / 0.009...... would there be a stronger test in say a 10lb with the same diameter as the 6lb?....... (besides braded line?)
Old 03-24-2010, 11:27 PM   #6 (permalink)

Grumpie...

I havent used it but Stren Magnathin has the following diameters for pound test...

LB Dia
6 .008
8 .009
10 .010

It comes in clear and green...I dont like clear in any lines...I have seen line shine/halo effect on the underwater camera too many times on sunny days and it doesnt happen with green lines...
Old 03-25-2010, 07:45 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zkunk
I dont like clear in any lines...I have seen line shine/halo effect on the underwater camera too many times on sunny days and it doesnt happen with green lines...
Damn. All I use is clear line. Wonder how many more fish I might catch?
slayerfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2010, 07:49 AM   #8 (permalink)

I knew you were going to say that...I have seen cases at Lake John where they were put off by it...I wish I would of taken a video of the line glowing all the way to the dead sticked item in the bright sunlight from around the ice house...that was on Saturday...Sunday was cloudy no line sheen and the fish wouldnt leave it alone...I will say it was a non moving presentation...not a quarter ounce kasty with action...it happened once to me...that was enough to swear it off forever...
Old 03-25-2010, 08:39 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpie Gills
sense 6lb is at 0.012 / 0.009...... would there be a stronger test in say a 10lb with the same diameter as the 6lb?....... (besides braded line?)
Almost all mono lines are about the same diameter for the same strength, since their polymer formulas are almost identical (i.e. almost all nylon). Stren Magnathin is about as good as you can do, like Z said.

Your next step up is braid. And it really is a step up. You could load your spool with 14 lb. fireline crystal which is the same diameter as 6 lb. mono. The braid is that much stronger for its size. The next time you catch your lure on a log, you can just reel in the log! Ha! (I probably wouldn't go up to 14, but you could.)

"Crystal" in this case doesn't really mean "clear". For invisibility in the water, add a 3 ft. or so leader of clear fluorocarbon, it has the same refractive index as water and disappears under water.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:28 AM   #10 (permalink)

The old 300's are nice, the newer models when they came out the 300x....they sucked IMO. I have 3 of them and won't be going back to their products.
koldkut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in