Lowrance HDS-5 sonar/gps questions - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2010, 05:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Lowrance HDS-5 sonar/gps questions

Looking to buy a new sonar/GPS unit for the boat and wanted feedback on the Lowrance HDS-5 unit. I can't justify spending $400-500 dollars more to get the HDS-7. I have a pretty good understanding of the sonar side of the unit, but it will be my first GPS combo unit. It comes standard with US Basemap and for $50 more I can get it with Lake Insight Map. Is it worth the upgraded map software? I fish Pueblo the most, with Blue Mesa, Eleven Mile, and Spinney a few times a year. Is there any issues with mounting it under the windshield since it is an internal GPS unit? Any other feedback would be appreciated!
mrwelte is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2010, 06:24 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Lowrance HDS-5 sonar/gps questions

if you have a metal frame on your windshield it might not work
Old 03-26-2010, 09:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

Just hope it works cause I hear their customer service is the worst. Just something to consider. People don't consider the after the sale factor. This is why I am changing all my units over to Humminbird. Customer service means a lot to me.
2 cents
[me=Jay] [/me]

NeWcS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2010, 02:04 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay
Just hope it works cause I hear their customer service is the worst.
2 cents
[me=Jay] [/me]
I can't comment on the Lowrance customer service in general, but found their response to GPS issues to be mixed. I returned an intermittent GPS unit for repair and since it tested OK, they supplied a new cable (which was good). That helped, but did not completely resolve the problem. When I called again they were marginally helpful. It turned out to be a bad ground connection plus interference between the unit and GPS puck. (they were too close together)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Turkey
Looking to buy a new sonar/GPS unit for the boat and wanted feedback on the Lowrance HDS-5 unit. I can't justify spending $400-500 dollars more to get the HDS-7. I have a pretty good understanding of the sonar side of the unit, but it will be my first GPS combo unit. It comes standard with US Basemap and for $50 more I can get it with Lake Insight Map. Is it worth the upgraded map software? I fish Pueblo the most, with Blue Mesa, Eleven Mile, and Spinney a few times a year. Is there any issues with mounting it under the windshield since it is an internal GPS unit? Any other feedback would be appreciated!
I have a 7 inch LCX on the dash and am glad that I did not buy a smaller unit - when you split the screen on a 7 inch unit you end up with a reasonable size map and decent sonar display. On the 5 inch it's pretty small in split mode - too small for me.

The HDS-7 screen is only 6.4 inch diagonal, so it's not a huge improvement over the HDS-5 in split screen mode. I would like to eventually upgrade to the HDS-8 on the dash, but that's a big pile of $$$, especially with the sidescan /downscan unit (which is awesome according to everyone that has it)

If you can fish with someone for a day that has the unit you are interested in, then it will be easier to make your decision.

I am also interested to hear what people think about the map upgrades.

Tight Lines,
Crk
Old 03-30-2010, 06:22 PM   #5 (permalink)

I used to run an Hds 5 in my dash and had no problems with the internal Gps not working. I also have a western 2009 Navionics mapping chip and the lake insite map that Lowrance puts out but I always use Lowrance on Pueblo. Really for the price if you are not fishing multiple bodys of water across the country than the mapping chips no matter brand are not worth it imo. I own Hds insite and most all the regions of navionics maps in the platnium edition so if you have a few lakes in mind I will compare to see who has the best features. But the panoramic pictures that navionics puts out are awsome weather they help you or not.
amistad10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2010, 08:44 PM   #6 (permalink)

Make your own conclusions of this comparison.

http://bbcboards.zeroforum.com/zerot...=483630&page=1
setthehook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2010, 11:47 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by setthehook
Make your own conclusions of this comparison.

http://bbcboards.zeroforum.com/zerot...=483630&page=1
That's really interesting. So, do the downscan images show fish on occasion, too, or just structure and cover??

Old 04-01-2010, 06:17 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofindyourowndamnfish
That's really interesting. So, do the downscan images show fish on occasion, too, or just structure and cover??
All the above. On my first (and only so far) outing with mine I did spot fish on the LSS but they do need to be sizable and you have to pa attention as the fish dont show up as an arch. Running structure scan and a regular sonar on the same screen or on two closely mounted screens gives a good view/validation/cross check.

Can tell you I will be ordering an HDS10 next week to acompany the HDS7.
setthehook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in