Bait for sunfish - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2010, 02:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Bait for sunfish

I took my 2 year old sun fishing for the first time (first time where he's fished). He absolutly loved it. I thought that we would be there like 5-10 minutes before he got bored, but it was between 45- 1 hr before he got tired (and we didn't catch a thing). Then yesterday (a couple weeks since we went) he has this coversation with my wife
"Mama...go"
mom:"Go where, honey?"
son: "Fishing.. Daddy..go.....soon!"
Mom: "You want to go fishing with Daddy?"
Son "Yeah, soon...no work...go fishing...Daddy"
Anyway I mostly fly fish so I am lost when it comes to bait. What I would like is a bait that stores well (not worms that I have to buy or dig up each time we go) and is good for catching sunfish, or if some typical item from the kitchen works that would be good as well.
20DSBOW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2010, 02:57 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Bait for sunfish

little pieces of worms and salmon eggs have worked good for me........well when i targeted them
Old 06-15-2010, 03:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

Well my go to for getting my kids into fish are minnows.. though they are NOT easy to store.. and if you think worms are too much of a pain.. Minnows are much worse!! Worms are actually really really easy to take care of :/

Anyway with those not being options.. I would suggest the Berkley GULP products. They are very similar to live bait.... But not actually alive.. just rubber soaked in scented oils. The container looks similar to that of powerbait.(They are known to leak out the scented juices so keep it in a ziplock bag or get a jar or something to keep them in or the juices will leak all over your tackle bag/box... and they smell pretty strong LOL)

I just put a small GULP minnow/Fish Fry/ets(My favorite look like mini Curly tail grubs, not sure what there called) on a very small jighead(Like an ice fishing ratso jighead) and put that under a bobber. (Distance from bobber to jig varies)

If your 2yr old is like mine.. He cant quite cast yet?? Even so.. Just cast it out for him and let him reel it in slowly... My 2yr old caught a gill on the 1st cast last time i took him out!! I casted for him and turned around to bait my 4yr old sons pole and when i looked back my 2yr old was already battling a bluegill!!

Hope that helps
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2010, 03:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

Small jigs tipped with mealworms will work great. Mealworms have a long shelf life!!! (As long a momma will let you keep 'em in the fridge )

Fish 'em under a little "indicator".
Old 06-15-2010, 03:58 PM   #5 (permalink)

I'd use worms... and not that you asked, but I'd head to the ponds on the south side of Chatfield. My wife runs a daycare out of our house and I take the kids down there every year and catch little tiny sunnies one after another. You can see them swim up under the bobber and everything - the key is using a small enough hook. They are so small that they can't even fit a normally small hook in there mouths - go SMALL and it will be non stop. Good luck and my boy who is about 2 1/2 will be down there soon... he's been getting primed by watchin "Bishing" with daddy!
Old 06-15-2010, 05:16 PM   #6 (permalink)

Ditto on the worms. Just cut a 1/2 inch piece off the ole worm and thread it on the hook. Ditto on the small hook........ which is big by flyfishing standards.........something around a #12 or so. Sunnies will usually hit anything that`s moving and will usually pick it on the drop if they see it falling. A small pencil bobber works and casts great. Sunnies usually are near the bottom or near cover so start fishing there. If you want to fish without bait just toss out a large hairs ear or pheasent tail on the fly rod. The fish will usually pick these sinking- moving targets with ease if they are around. One more essential......... make sure you bring your hemostats for easy hook removal. Teaching him to watch the bobber can be a cooool thing................especially if he sees you getting excited too! 8-) Good fishing & give us an update.
racer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2010, 07:11 PM   #7 (permalink)

Find some growth near shore and you will find sunfish. as racer said a small piece of worm will do it. Im over seventy years old and I still love to fish with a bobber or a cork as they used to call them many years ago.
trotline jr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2010, 09:22 PM   #8 (permalink)

A small hook and then tear off a 1/4 to 1/2 inch long piece of plastic from a white grocery bag....just a thin strip. You can't cast far just maybe 5 to 8 ft. but it works very very well. Best way to catch cutbait for cattin for sure. If there are sunfish nearby you can bring them in faster than you can cast out again for the next one.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
Hop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heron Laker
My wife runs a daycare out of our house and I take the kids down there every year and catch little tiny sunnies one after another . . . Good luck and my boy who is about 2 1/2 will be down there soon... he's been getting primed by watchin "Bishing" with daddy!
Really cool, HL. Loved reading that.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
The Mayor

worms, they ar easy and cheap. Ditto the little hook and a small bobber. Hit up Ketring park in the evening, tons and tons of sunnies.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in