Gaining Private Property Permission - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2010, 01:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Gaining Private Property Permission

So guys many years ago when I was a little kid my friend and I would go shoot our BB guns in an area where there were a few thousand acres of land, one day a man stopped and came up to us. He was the ownder. We talked and he told us that we can be on the property whenever we would like, and was really nice to us. BUT he just asked that we stay away from the lakes. The reason being was because he didnt own the property anymore, he was just watching it. Well it has been about 5 years since than and I recently found out that the previous owners gave him the property back. (they were planing on building a business center)
So now that he actually owns the property now it has me thinking...
The man has a mailbox at his gate. Would it be worth the shot of asking him for permission, and giving him my email and phone number? It would be a nice letter, not some piece of junk haha.
There is something that is really pushin me to do this though, and I wont lie. When I was a little kid my older friend and I snuck over there and went fishing
All I remember was my friend reeling in this MONSTER bass on a popper. This thing had to be atleast 10lbs, we took a picture and set it free. Ever since I have been wanting to head back, and now is my chance! So should I do it or not?
khabibulin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2010, 01:14 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Gaining Private Property Permission

Personal visit! I would highly suggest that. Maybe offer to help around the place with chores and the like in exchange for access. Looking someone in eye with much respect goes a long way compared to some letter.

" ....I got em all!"
Heavyc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2010, 01:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

Hell yeah -- the worst they can say is no -- if ya'll respected his land before I think he would think you would still respect his land
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2010, 01:17 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyC
Personal visit! I would highly suggest that. Maybe offer to help around the place with chores and the like in exchange for access. Looking someone in eye with much respect goes a long way compared to some letter.

I would love to but the problem is lives about 2 miles down a road, that is on his property.
khabibulin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2010, 01:20 PM   #5 (permalink)

you could stock him Ha Ha -- a hand written letter goes a long way these days with the old timers, It in itself shows respect
Old 06-25-2010, 01:31 PM   #6 (permalink)

I've been known to be pretty aggressive in my seeking permission for private property fishing. Face to face is the way if possible. I just roll up and knock on the door. Bringing up that you're the kid with the BB gun is your "in", work it.

The worst that can happen is they say no.

Matter of fact, I'm fishing some new private property this weekend
tangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2010, 02:08 PM   #7 (permalink)

Cam, Two miles up the road passed the gate? Face to face is always top notch, Two miles of trespass is questionable, what if the guy start shooting?
just IMO no offense in intend as I totally agree with you, If not for the gate and raod
Old 06-25-2010, 02:49 PM   #8 (permalink)

I didn't see that part, you're right, def. don't want to go through the gate.
tangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2010, 05:34 PM   #9 (permalink)

if the gate is unlocked and no signs saying do not enter, i would go in and talk face to face. he already gave you permission to be on his land, a few years ago. you can drop in to say hello and see how he is giting on, offer to give a hand on his place. most older guys welcome people from the past. the worst he can do is say no. a letter wont do it but face to face might if he remembers you
Old 06-26-2010, 10:24 AM   #10 (permalink)

roads and driveway are for driving if the gate is shut close it when you go through he might have a cow or horse or two, they get out say bye bye to access. older farming people don't mind if you are respectful and most don't like the internet. they use it for the bare necessities and that's about it. but go do a face to face. would you rather have someone send you a letter or talk to you face to face.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in