Lake Mcconaughy Help! - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2010, 08:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Lake Mcconaughy Help!

Hello Fellas,

I am heading to Lake Mcconaughy tomorrow morning for some fishing. Has anybody been there recently that can help with locations of biting fish? Or just some general areas and baits I should I try? Mainly going for Wiper, White Bass, Catfish, Walleye and/or Crappie. I will be mainly shore fishing but will have access to a boat for a few hours. I did a search for Lake Mcconaughy on here was just hoping for some more up to date info since the water is so high. Any help is GREATLY appreciated.
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2010, 03:14 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Lake Mcconaughy Help!

Wow a sooner fan asking for help at Big Mac. First thing leave the OU stuff at home. Seriously! lol

Sorry I can't be a ton of help since I haven't fished Big Mac in years but if memory serves white bass should be just about going nuts this time of year. As kid I'd limit out on white bass every first week of July. I was always fishing the shore of Arthur Bay by the point heading out to the main lake on the west side. I would always use garden worms and salmon eggs. Back then the water high as well so if the fish go back to their old patterns it might work. Dusk to hour or two after seemed to be the ticket. And while you are at it put you second rod on the bottom with some chicken livers for cats, and they normally won't be to far out. If its high enough there will be a drop off out about 75 yards out and I would wade out so I could hit just past it & that would be where to find the walleyes where I would float a night crawler about 2 feet off of the bottom.

Hope this helps, back then I wasn't much of a fly and lure guy like I am today and the conditions may be different since it was low for so long, but it might be a start.

Go Huskers!
Old 07-03-2010, 06:26 AM   #3 (permalink)

I hate to be the bringer of bad news, butttttttttt.
Just got back from Lake Mac, and between the water temp.being at 72 degrees, and the water being up close to full pool, the fishing was some of the worse I've seen at Lake Mac in years. The big problem is that with the water back up, there are 10 years worth of brush, trees, grasses, etc. for the bait fish to hide in. On top of that, if you try to do any bottom bouncing you will constantly be snagging up. Shore line fishing is also going to be tough, again due to the water now being past the trees, and brush. Not sure what to tell you, but as far as White Bass are concerned, the best action the last couple of years as been during early to mid August, but again, with the lake this full,,,,,who knows. Sorry for the bad report.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2010, 03:48 AM   #4 (permalink)

I got a call from Kraz tonight...he was stoked got a 15 pound Blue Cat in Nebraska yesterday afternoon broke off a bigger one on 50 pound braid...

NICE JOB KRAZ!!!...all my Aurora cat training has helped you!!!...bwahaahahahahahhaaaa...

https://www.coloradofisherman.com/for...?topic=55344.0
Old 07-04-2010, 08:54 PM   #5 (permalink)

Well the water was high and there was alot of lake traffic so it wasn't the easiest task to find a place to fish. Ended up fishing by the damn with cut shad. Landed 5 catfish in the 5-15lb range. Missed several bites and I also hooked three other fish where after a short fight they broke me off. The first fish I can assure you it felt like a 50+ pounder of something. Not a bad fishing trip considering I only fished for about 2 hours and went there close to blind as far as where to fish. Oh and the fish were caught around 8am and the bite died around 9:30am.
Old 07-04-2010, 09:00 PM   #6 (permalink)

sounds like the trip was worth it did you take any pics
catfishking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2010, 09:38 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfishking
sounds like the trip was worth it did you take any pics
I asked the same thing on the fishing reports page.
Old 07-05-2010, 12:57 AM   #8 (permalink)

Na don't have a camera.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in