Birthday present to myself... - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2010, 04:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Birthday present to myself...

I'm wanting to buy my first baitcasting reel and unfortunately I have close to zero knowledge about which one I should purchase. I would like to get something relatively decent so I don't get turned off from it right away, but I don't want to go overkill on it. Maybe something in the $150 range give or take. I'll be learning and have been wanting one for a while, just haven't gotten around to it until now. Any suggestions or things to look for would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2010, 09:18 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Birthday present to myself...

It's a big step, but definitely a rewarding one. The one piece of advice I can give you is to get a mid-range reel - a budget reel will frustrate you, and the performance difference between mid- and high-end reels can be tough to appreciate until you get some experience with "thumb-burners", as my old fishing acquaintance Squirrel Guy used to call them.

What brand/model to get?

If you have small hands, try something like a Shimano Citica E 200 or 201 (LH). I use LH retrieve for my spinning reels, and rather than try to change things up, I try to get all of my casting reels in LH retrieve as well - try some out in the store to see if you like RH (traditional) or LH retrieve. BPS, Garcia (Revo series) and Quantum also make good mid-ranged casting reels. If you want to go with a more traditional round reel - look at something like a Garcia 5500 series or a Shimano Cardiff series in the 200 or 300 size (again, choosing left or right hand retrieve).

Good luck!
FishDr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2010, 10:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

Citica is a good reel but at 150 you can get a 200 curado. Great reel for the $$$$
daiwa sol's are getting sold around that price online at fishfreakonline.com and use bbc10 as the coupon code for 10% more off. I prefer it over a curado. Casts light baits quite a bit better but does have a smaller line cap.

Hope this helps. It is all done hill from here! My spinning rod has about 10 casts on it this year. All baitcasting gear for me.
boondock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2010, 10:56 PM   #4 (permalink)

Good points Boondock...I forgot about the Daiwa reels, and my OG Millionaire is not going to like that! One thing you may want to do is figure out what size lures/bait you'll be casting and then size your reel accordingly - you don't want to try throwing really light lures on a 300-series baitcaster or very heavy lures on a 200-series reel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock
My spinning rod has about 10 casts on it this year. All baitcasting gear for me.
I thought I was done with spinning gear until my wels experience - my two best swimbait fish of the year came on a heavy spinning rod/reel outfit! I would have been happier with casting gear, but hey, beggars can't be choosers!
FishDr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2010, 01:35 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks everyone... I have huge hands and I'm really mainly only going to be using the reel for swimbaits, big buzzbaits, big flatfish, etc. Honestly I doubt I'll ever leave the truck without a spinning setup even when I start loving the baitcaster so I can throw my finesse rigs and lighter plastics... I just need to throw these big lures and a spinning setup just isn't cutting it. I've been to bps and talked to a couple people, but I feel like they're trying to sell me on the highest price reel when I know I wont understand understand or appreciate what I have in my hand... I know I don't need something really nice, just something that isn't going to frustrate me and make me give it up all together. I thought I was settled on a low profile and assumed (no idea why) that the others were mainly used for trolling, musky, and saltwater. In your opinion, is the $150 range too much or too little to be spending on a first timer? And am I leaning towards the low profile when I shouldn't be?

I've been fishing for years, but have no friends that are into it as much as I am so unfortunately I have nobody that I know personally to ask that has any idea what they're talking about...

Thanks for all your input and advice fellas, appreciate it!
Old 07-21-2010, 06:30 PM   #6 (permalink)

Abu Garcia Revo. Light, durable and available in a variety of prices/speeds and left or right handed. I second the Dr's idea of reeling with the same hand you do with a spinning reel. CL
Old 07-21-2010, 06:46 PM   #7 (permalink)

$150 is about right for your first IMO.
How heavy of baits do you plan on throwing?
A 200E Curado holds a lot of line 10/155, 14/110 so it is capable of throwing bigger baits. It wouldn't be my go to reel for swimbaits but it will work throwing 2-4oz baits just be prepared to send it off every year to get some parts replaced and the reel gone through.
Also consider the Daiwa Zillion (a little more $) it is a bullet proof reel that can throw so heavy baits.

If you are going to be throwing 1oz+ baits all the time I recommend the Curado 300E or 300D.
boondock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2010, 03:04 PM   #8 (permalink)

I saw something I thought was very nice for a beginning bait caster in another post about icast. Check out the Shakespeare E-Z Cast. It will lock the spool the second the line goes slack so you never tangle. Sells for about $40. If I were to start out all over again then I would pick one of these up and learn on it cause you can still learn when to feather or stop the line with your thumb on it. Then spend some serious money on something you love. I have a quantum pt tour and love it but something like this would have helped in the beginning.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:29 PM   #9 (permalink)

Forego the shakespear and live the hard life while learning the correct way. I got my first baitcaster from Boondock, a Citica 200e. I've since sold it and got a 201e (LH). It was getting hard to retrain my left arm to hold the rod and set the hook. It feels better holding the rod with right hand.
koldkut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in