Anybody fished Elephant Butte - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2010, 03:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Anybody fished Elephant Butte

May be down there in end of Nov-late in the season but it 500 miles south of here so should still be fishing good. Reports and articles I've read say its a good smallie/largemouth lake plus stripers but haven't been able to find much current info.

Alternative would be to go to Ute-I know thats a real good lake-have always done well when I've fished there.

Any info would be appreciated.

Advice. Wise men don't need it, fools won't heed it.
kirbydog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2010, 05:26 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Anybody fished Elephant Butte

Ed
it's been years ago for me, but that is the time of year that the stripers start schooling near the narrows. there are no ramps there but you should have no problem launching your boat from shore. if you launch at the park ramps it is about a 10 mile run to the narrows. there is another lake under the dam that is much smaller and fishes good for bass. launching at the park the butte has a lot of brush on the east side, about 2 miles, it is full of SMB and LMB. also watch for top water action out in the middle. those strippers get big down there, up to 50 lbs.

Ute is a lot of fun in nov but the weather can be bad, the last time i was there in nov it was 85 deg one day and 35 deg the next day, we froze our butts off and cut 3 days off our trip
Old 08-12-2010, 10:05 PM   #3 (permalink)

I usually go in May have done well on whites, walleye and stripers. Never caught any smallies or Largemouth, but they have a fair number of bass tournaments. If you're chasing stripers it might be worth a days guide or half day to get current information.
mobyJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2010, 01:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks guys. Byron-I agree, weather at Ute in late Nov could be good or it could be bad. I don't mind the cold-its the wind I worry about.

Advice. Wise men don't need it, fools won't heed it.
kirbydog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2010, 02:01 PM   #5 (permalink)

that is why we had 35 deg. weather, we had a 50mph north wind. bucked a head wind all the way home
Old 08-16-2010, 04:30 PM   #6 (permalink)

It's been a couple of years but got into the stripers at night. We were throwing big arse Bomber Long A's for 3 days without much luck. Got tied of casting the big baits on big rods so switched to a chrome rattle trap to go for whites.
Guess what showed up! Stripers up to 21 lbs... Blacks bluffs area. Be careful, wind gets nasty!
hammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in