Bait fishing trout - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2010, 03:12 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Bait fishing trout

I had a buddy of mine almost piss himself laughing when I told him that I was using powerbait (because so many people swear by the stuff) on the end of a hook, and using a bobber to keep it off the bottom. He explained to me that I needed to lose the bobber, and set up my line with about 3 feet of line past my sinker. (He says trout, at least the ones he catches feed in about 3 feet of water.) And that with that setup, my powerbait should float in the general area of where they are feeding.

Here my questions, When I go up to the mountains, (Where I have yet to catch a trout on anything ) That water can be super clear, clear enough where I can see 4-5 feet down in the water. And Im fishing off a dock and I bring my line in and it gets close I stop it and watch what it is doing, and Ill be dammed if my powerbait doesn't just sink to the bottom. Am I using to much powerbait? Am I not using enough powerbait in connection to the weight of the hook? Ive used just a little bit, Ive used a whole bunch, and everywhere in between. and yet it just sinks... Whats my problem?

And is my buddies idea of where Im assuming lake trout, cause Im fishing lakes, is feeding? Is he even right on the setup? Im sure since Ive seen the fish he has caught, but Id just prefer to bring it to the pros.

And ya, when I do have questions or comments about fishing, I really do post in something more than just off topic. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2010, 04:31 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Bait fishing trout

Use a small light wire hook, the hook itself may be too heavy for the powerbait...
Old 09-13-2010, 07:52 AM   #3 (permalink)

Hey man, try this... throw the power bait away and start learning the ways of fishing that don't involve sittin there staring at a rod. Seriously.. (not busting on those who like to fish with bait, but since he is just starting, perhaps learning how to do other types of fishing could be helpful).

So, I assume you are fishing for trout. I suggest to start buying three lures, all of which are trout catching machines. 1. gold castmaster 2. 3" tube jig in olive or white with a 3/8 oz jig head 3. coundown rapala 2"-3" models.

Next spool your rod with 6lb test mono and buy a small spool of 6lb or 4lb florocarbon. The 4lb is reccomended in clear water, but be careful, and set the drag light. Tie on 2'-3' of floro on to the mono using a swivel.

Now, here is the most important part. 10% of the water holds 90% of the fish. There is a reason that good fishermen catch fish consistently. It starts with the right gear, but the main reason is they read the water. Go to the lake of choice, and really look at the lake. Look for points, drop offs, weed lines etc...all of which are called structure. The breaks between the structure and the open (boring) water is ambush areas where fish can feed. Fish are typically opporotunistic feeders.

The three lures I reccomended are good for several reasons. the first is can be reeled fast with the tip of the rod high to keep it near the surface... make stops and starts letting it fall... or you can retrieve slowly and near the bottom. It is an active lure that triggers strikes. learn to keep it in a particular column of water.

The tube should be worked twitching along the bottom.. this works particularly well around rocks and drop offs, around weeds, not so much.

The countdown is a great introduction to jerk baits which will be the next step and a way to work your way into other species. The reason the countdown is nice is you count down the depth. Controlling depth of your lure is SUPER important to catching fish... Most seasoned fisherman and pros would put depth ahead of nearly every factor. So learn how to get this bait in the proper depth. Cast accross a point, count and retrieve... then work the point further out...letting it sink more... etc. etc.

lastly, move, move, move. You will find that moving and changing depths will eventually pay off.. Once you catch a fish or two, think about what happened. Why you caught the fish, how you caught it, where you caught it... now repeat what worked in other areas that are simmilar in structure and depth.

The reason I suggest these things is it will move you forward as a fisherman... getting your powerbait to float will do little for your skills.
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2010, 08:39 AM   #4 (permalink)

Oyey, As I dream if the day that is a possible for me, It just isn't an option for me right now. Not that Im looking for a poor me moment, but until fixed, I have a really bad lower back, so as much as I'd like to give forth the effort of not being a bait fisherman, Im kinda stuck in the spot for now. I own the biggest tackle box a man can buy, and when I really first started, I loaded up on almost everything you guys pointed out to me. I own so much stuff, my box seriously weighs 20 lbs. Jigs, tubes, spinners, lol I bought that 246 piece worm box you can buy, pshh I feel pretty stupid for it too. Ive bought plenty, its just that I don't have the ability to give the physical effort a real fisherman does. And I know and kick myself in the butt knowing that is 95% of my problem and lack of catching other species or catching the number of fish others do.

Thankfully I have faith my problem is not one that will last a lifetime, and when I am able to put forth the effort, I will be able to with the knowledge that you all have given me, as Ive almost got a small book saved to go back to without coming back here to research from, and I should be less of a rookie when I do it.

Thank you for your advice, a lot of information there that I will save for sure, and use to educate myself and use when I have the chance.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:42 AM   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

My powerbait setup... 2 small weights crimped onto the line above a snap swivel hooked to the snap is a 6 inch leader with and egg hook and a 18 inch leader with a small treble hook. On the egg hook I will hook 2-3 salmon eggs or 1 gulp egg on the treble hook I will add the powerbait either rainbow or salmon peach. Powerbait does float but the hook usually weighs it down, but its still light enough that it will sit onto the weeds or anything you land on, its not going to sink into the murk like the weights. This set up I will use with kids on any stocker pond in colorado and have pretty much non stop action all day. I recommend you hold the line to feel the light bites and set the hook before the fish swallow it and run.

www.ColoradoMountainFishing.com

Here's to Tight Lines, Bent Rods, and Screamin Reels.... FISH ON!
epic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2010, 10:08 AM   #6 (permalink)

I don't understand Powerbait. I can slam fish on inlines, countdowns, tubes, maribous, and crawlers when bait fishing, but I tried PB and got jack shay. Cool that the kids get to pick from 85 colors, though, and I'm sure the girls like the glittery stuff.

If casting is too much work, use crawlers, IMO. I've caught a dozen different species and some master anglers using nightcrawlers. Hell, I've caught more trout on shrimp and sucker than powerbait.
mriddell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2010, 10:25 AM   #7 (permalink)

I don't have a problem with casting, its the moving around the lake to find the fish I have a problem with. I do move some around the lake, but its more of ok Ive been here for a while and nothing, Im gonna move over there and hang out for a while. Ive got this land based bank that sticks out into the lake that gives me 270 degrees of casting area, and I do try to cast out other things towards what I see as shelter, but Im only able to do so for 10 minutes at best before Im forced to sit down.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:33 AM   #8 (permalink)

In that case, listen to Oyey on lure selection I'm terrible about moving to find fish and manage to catch em. Even if you fish from one or two spots from shore, you can cover a lot more water with a lure than a bait rig.
mriddell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2010, 12:44 PM   #9 (permalink)

Use 6 pound test line...I like Berkely XT...Pinch on a couple of split shot 20" above a size 12 baitholder hook. Use just enough weight to cast effectively for conditions.
Use a bit of orange (not glitter) powerbait , just enough to float the hook off the bottom.
Cast out, and tighten just enough to take the slack out of your line...tighten too much and you may pull your bait into submerged weeds, etc.
The idea is to let the bait float up from the bottom.
I normally use two ultra light rods set up this way and usually have great luck when bait fishing.
Have a bad back and two bad knees so often now bait fishing is the best way to fish for me.
Just sit back and enjoy the day!
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2010, 12:51 PM   #10 (permalink)

Ive used Powerbait for stockers, and done quite well. I tie a northland floating jig head on 24 inches of leader and a swivel on the other, the jighead keeps it floating off the bottom. On the line going to the pole put a bell weight or slip sinker and tie the tag end to the swivel.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in