rod rack for roof - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2010, 06:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default rod rack for roof

So i decided that there was no way in hell i was gonna buy one of those expensive rod racks that they sell that can cost well over $100. plus i was tired of putting rods in my jeep and tryin to get people inside too..plus chick just dont dig ridin with rods next to their face..

so i put this together awhile back meant to post it a long time ago but never did. anyway about 20 bucks of material later and a few hours of my time i made my own...can hold 4 rods easy..made of pvc pipe and some ghetto rhino liner and spray paint and bolts

tell me what you think

Advertisement

Old 10-03-2010, 11:48 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: rod rack for roof

That looks pretty sweet. What do you have on the rod tips? I'm always worried that something will hit the tip (assuming that gravel will, for once, miss my windshield) and damage it.
FishDr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2010, 02:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

Looks good. But I'd be worried about the tips getting screwed up too. With as fast as a vehicle can go, and the wind kicking up, I'd imagine that could wreak havoc on your tips as well.

Quote:
http://plus chick just dont dig ridin with rods next to their face..
I just can't...

Old 10-04-2010, 04:21 PM   #4 (permalink)

Ya, the rods are pretty exposed. I woulda just cut a few segments of ~6" diam pvc and thread one end for a screw cap, glue a cap to the other end. Just slide the rods in, screw shut, and strap those to your rack. Then even if they fell off somehow, your rods/reels would be well protected.
hierochloe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2010, 04:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

Looks good. In response to the other comments about the rod tips, would it be feasible to turn the rod rack 180 degrees so that the rod tips face the back of your vehicle? That way the wind will be flowing over the rods from the end to the tips, and not putting so much wind force on the tips and exposing them to the gravel.

Also, you might want to consider placing your tie down rope over just the rods, and not over both the rods and the line. The line may get abrasions from the rope during travel...

Nice job on the do-it-yourself rack!
Baby Huey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2010, 04:01 PM   #6 (permalink)

for the most part i only use the rack for short rides to lakes or streams. As for the tips im not sure if they can get damaged. When i moved to fort collins i had them on the top the whole way (highlands ranch to foco) and i was doin like 80 on i25 and they seemed fine but idk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyHuey
Looks good. In response to the other comments about the rod tips, would it be feasible to turn the rod rack 180 degrees so that the rod tips face the back of your vehicle? That way the wind will be flowing over the rods from the end to the tips, and not putting so much wind force on the tips and exposing them to the gravel.

Also, you might want to consider placing your tie down rope over just the rods, and not over both the rods and the line. The line may get abrasions from the rope during travel...

Nice job on the do-it-yourself rack!
And you are right the rods can be turned around which would also work great IMO. And to what u said about the line, i dont leave the line through the guides i reel it all in so there is no need to worry about it too much. (the line was just out in the guides when i took the picture)

Otherwise thanks for your opinion guys i appreciate it and will take ur ideas into consideration
Old 10-07-2010, 10:34 PM   #7 (permalink)

Nice work Jeremy!!! Way to solve the problem yourself!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in