96 Lb. channel cat! - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2010, 03:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 96 Lb. channel cat!

I talked to this guy yesterday I met out in the street. He was mowing my neighbor's lawn. After talking about this never ending summer we then went into fishing. Let me preface this by saying that this fellow looks like a 60s hippie and talks like a blow-hard. My guess is that he has smoked a fair amount of weed in his days. We start talking about Williams Fork first. He starts telling me he has caught 45 lb. pike from there while standing on ladder out in the flats and casting whole suckers at them when he sees them come swimming in from atop the ladder. He tells me he did this while fishing with one of the DOW guys. He also tells me he uses 60 lb. test.

We then discuss Lake Trout at WF. He tells me he has caught and seen caught fish that were 60-70 pounds from shore just after the bouy lines come down. He says there is a spot where the monsters come in by the tens of thousands waiting for spawn.

He then decides to tell me about the 96 lb. channel cat he caught at Sterling Res. that he landed.

Now each time he mentions a fish to me I quote to him what the state record is for that species and where it was caught including the recent cat from Aurora. He tells me the records do not mean a thing and that he never has recorded one of his fish.

My question is this, is this guy high on a lot more than just life or can there be ANY substantiation of these wild tales?
pikester is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2010, 03:28 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: 96 Lb. channel cat!

I wouldn't mind trying whatever he is smoking. You should ask him for me.
rivrunnr1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2010, 03:33 PM   #3 (permalink)

Ask to see his scale, I bet it's in ounces. And he's a fisherman, so he is statistically prone to lying when there is no photographic evidence.
koldkut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2010, 03:34 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to timper

The world record Channel Cat is 58 pounds, they don't grow hardly any larger than that. There have been only two or three verified 50 pound channels.
As for the pike, that would be the most believeable one. I don't buy the lake trout either, even though they can grow that large. There MIGHT be a 60 pound fish in Blue Mesa but that's iffy.
Old 10-14-2010, 03:41 PM   #5 (permalink)

total bs, just like the guy that knows a guy thats a diver works on the damn and is scared of all the 100lb fish down there. Had one guy swear he has caught king mackerel in colo.
Old 10-14-2010, 03:45 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by redleader
total bs, just like the guy that knows a guy thats a diver works on the damn and is scared of all the 100lb fish down there. Had one guy swear he has caught king mackerel in colo.
King Mackinaw?
koldkut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2010, 04:13 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceInTheVeins.
The world record Channel Cat is 58 pounds, they don't grow hardly any larger than that. There have been only two or three verified 50 pound channels.
As for the pike, that would be the most believeable one. I don't buy the lake trout either, even though they can grow that large. There MIGHT be a 60 pound fish in Blue Mesa but that's iffy.
Yep... Even the pike is kinda unbelievable. What's the largest ever caught here? I know even less about lakers, but that seems a bit far fetched.

Here's another thing that makes all this (eh-hem) fishy....There are a lot of great fishermen/women on this site, many of whom have a specific type of fish they like to target. Is it really possible for one guy to catch so many world (LMAO as I type this) record class fish, in Colorado, no less?

BS! Or really, REEEAALLY good weed...
mrwigglestheworm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2010, 04:43 PM   #8 (permalink)

No weed is THAT good.
tangler is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2010, 04:46 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANGLER
No weed is THAT good.
LOL

You never know, he might have the Chron-Kill weed... Some Half Baked type weed!

mrwigglestheworm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2010, 04:57 PM   #10 (permalink)

He is telling the truth as I was with him on all of those trips. I caught bigger fish on those trips but we only weighed the small ones.
trotline jr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in