Lake Minnequa, Pueblo - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2010, 06:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Lake Minnequa, Pueblo

Whats the status of this lake. Is it still a private club or open to the public? Does it have any decent fishing? Appreciate any help, thanks.

Advice. Wise men don't need it, fools won't heed it.
kirbydog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2010, 07:25 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Lake Minnequa, Pueblo

It is owned by the City of Pueblo--which has since opened it as a park. From what I know the Division of Wildlife, along with the City, was in the plans of dredging the lake (at some point). Then doing the usual fish habitat improvements/stocking. It is very shallow, although there is some deeper water out in the middle of the lake (although I'm not sure how deep?). I know it has winter killed because of this. It has carp, shad, and possibly some catfish that I know of. Back along time ago (in the 1950s~60s) it used to be an excellent fishery. But has since gone down hill (from what I understand it has some water quality issues..but once again I am not sure?). I have only fished it once, with no success...

D.J.

Hobby: defeating the progressives...
djfisherman2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2010, 09:26 AM   #3 (permalink)

Default Re: Lake Minnequa, Pueblo

There are some very large channel cat in the lake,plus a ton of carp.If you fish after dark your success increases.The water has been going down hill in quality for many years.The center of the lake is 11 to 14 foot deep.This was the depth of the lake in a [email protected] survey in the 60s.This is a pan shaped lake.Hard to fish from shore.Years ago,I would wade out at night in chest high waders,and using dough ball bait,and light lined spinning tackle,could catch carp one after another.A great way to learn how to fight big fish. Never really caught anything much over ten pounds,but a lot of fun.Back in the early 60s a hatchery truck load of fingerling walleye had to dump all the fish in this lake because of a problem and the fish were dying.The lake at that time was right along lake ave.,and we would siene for minnows there.We would catch small walleye in the net that were 6 inches long.I doubt if they could spawn in this lake,but some surly some must have survived to adult size.There were millons of minnows,and green sunfish for food .More than enough food base.I would guess that dredgeing and planting catails might bring the lake back to a point where fishing could pick up.There is no acess for shore line auto traffic that I have seen,not alone a handicap access.The park is in early stage of construction.I think that this will be a fun fishing area in the future.
BOJON123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in