Need to push so you have more water to fish! Comment on this before the greenies - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2010, 04:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Need to push so you have more water to fish! Comment on this before the greenies

http://www.lakenighthorse.com/

Comments can be left on the RH side under posts.

daiwafan25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2010, 06:51 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Need to push so you have more water to fish! Comment on this before the greenies

daiwafan, while I do very much support your civic-mindednes, and am personally in favor of increased angler access, I would like to point out that "greenies" are not quite the boogiemen some would paint them. It is even conceivable that an angler may also be a "greenie," and that "greenie" objectives do sometimes overlap nicely with fishermen's needs. (bringing back historic flows, combating invasive species, streamside vegetation restoration, monitoring pollution sources, responsible limits on angler harvest, etc.)

The angler in me can see no reason why a reservoir should not be made available to anglers, as it does not represent sensitive habitat... I hope that you and anyone else inclined to fish there will be able to do so.

Nighthorse? good lord, that sounds like a great band name.

Cheers.
Old 11-12-2010, 11:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to timper
Default Re: Need to push so you have more water to fish! Comment on this before the greenies

All I can say is that public lakes should be open to the public for fishing, ice fishing, and at the very least non motorized boating. To keep public watershed lakes closed to public access is pure communism. We own the lakes, not the officials, not the government.
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2010, 01:39 AM   #4 (permalink)

And why does it have to be trout? Can't it be managed for something else for a change? Of course they will use the squawfish as an excuse.
Old 11-13-2010, 08:00 AM   #5 (permalink)

Default Re: Need to push so you have more water to fish! Comment on this before the gree

Just because WE own the lakes doesn't mean YOU can do whatever the hell you want with them.
funkmastersnowshoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2010, 10:04 AM   #6 (permalink)

Iceintheveins, I admire the enthusiasm with which you apply yourself! May I simply point out this small fact? Communism aims for a classless society structured upon communal ownership. It seeks to establish societal integration of the means of production, common ownership of goods produced, and the end of private property.

I am in no way advocating communism, which history has proven to be fundamentally problematic with regard to implementation. I would simply encourage you to do a little reading prior to holding forth on a topic you demonstrate tenuous knowledge of.

cheers!
Old 11-13-2010, 04:09 PM   #7 (permalink)

Communism in practice never aimed for a classless society-their ruling class was for all intents and purposes an aristocracy and acted like royalty. They were afforded benefits and goodies not available to the people they ruled. I believe that was what Ice in the veins is referring to.

It took decades to open a few lakes on Pikes Peak to public use-lakes which the city fathers and utility personnel fished on a regular basis while denying access to the rest of us. All in the name of a supposed concern for damage to the environment. They are in the process of delaying access to much of the southern side of Pikes peak to the public-again, all in the name of concern for big horn sheep and the environment.

Advice. Wise men don't need it, fools won't heed it.
kirbydog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2010, 06:11 PM   #8 (permalink)

Kirbydog, your point concerning the hypocritical behavior of "communist leaders," (itself a term very much at odds with communist doctrine!) is well taken. History is of course replete with examples of selfish "communist leaders." I would consider that issue to have been addressed by the statement that communism has "proven problematic with regard to implementation," though perhaps you do not?

I think communists are at best naive, and at worst dishonest about their objectives. I am certain we will find here few to defend communism with any great enthusiasm!

It has been said that no one ever lost money betting against the intelligence of the public. I would add the idea that the average person is greedy in addition to being stupid. There really are some places that have more value in isolation. I may not like that fact on a personal level, due to my own basic greed and stupidity, but even I can see the utility of such an idea... we are a fecund species, and within our lifetime the bill will come due. It is my fault, and yours. With our consumption we have provided a model for future generations to emulate.

It will be a cluster**** when everyone in China drives a car.

I have no idea of the situation with the lakes you mentioned. From your description, it does very much sound like a violation of the public trust. People in office have an established tradition of violating the public trust, so that comes as no surprise! But it does seem possible that the lakes you speak of represent systems easily damaged and not easily repaired. If that is not the case I seen no reason why they could not be opened to the public, but you and I both know how fast a place goes downhill when the throng is loosed upon it.

I don't know if you have ever been to the Thornton gravel pit ponds. They never represented sensitive habitat to begin with, but they USED to be wonderful, fishy spots. Now they are a trashed out put-and-take parody of their former state. So much for the elusive "responsible public" in that case...

Just to be clear, I am all in favor of access for responsible, well behaved anglers. No doubt many of the people on this site represent that demographic perfectly. But (I am sorry to say) I do not think they represent the majority. Maybe you are more optimistic than I am?

Cheers!
Old 11-13-2010, 07:06 PM   #9 (permalink)

The whole state is put and take because of poor management. Lets stock slimers in every hole we can. Im expecting some of the large puddles that are in walmart parking lots are to be next.

If the state used some common sense and stocked self sustaining populations of warm water pan fish there would be more to fish for.

Im so glad I moved.

As for whining at me for saying "greenies". When they try to block snowmobile trails, whine about motor noise, spit at me when I ride the back country they are the problem, not some noise pollution.

I was just pointing it out so maybe just maybe there could be some effect on it for the anglers. Its crap spewed from people like you that keep me from posting here.

Cheers.

daiwafan25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2010, 08:08 PM   #10 (permalink)

daiwafan, I sent you an email. If you did not get it, please PM me so we can talk.

I have made the effort to write in a way that made it clear I am NOT representing a "side" but that we can look at things from more than one angle. I was raised with the idea that in America we can represent ourselves without fear of personal attack. I sincerely apologize if I have offended anyone with anything I have said; that was never my intent.

Cheers!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in