Petition to the Colorado Division of Wildlife / Northern Pike - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2010, 12:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Petition to the Colorado Division of Wildlife / Northern Pike

I have written a petition requesting the seasonal closure of Spearfishing/Archery/Gigs for Northern Pike from March 1st to May 31st. I would like to collect hard signatures from as many people as possible, especially those who hold a current Colorado fishing license.

My thoughts are to get these on the counters of as many shops as possible, collect signatures in front of major stores, and in general get every angler who agrees with this to put their name on it. My goal is to acquire 1,000+ signatures, this would represent $26,000.00 not including habitat stamps and/or 2nd rod stamps. If the petition does not get the attention of the DOW this is enough people/money to get the attention of the media.

May work, it may not... But it is something we can do rather than just watch this take place.
Anybody interested in helping out with this please p.m. me your e-mail and I will forward you the petition. I would like to have this completed by the end of the year.

Thank you!
fishlip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2010, 01:18 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Petition to the Colorado Division of Wildlife / Northern Pike

Look, someone is is actually DOING something, rather than just crying about it on a forum.

I applaud you, sir. I'll sign your petition.
mrwigglestheworm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2010, 01:45 PM   #3 (permalink)

I'm down! I'll spread the word like crazy too.
rivrunnr1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2010, 02:18 PM   #4 (permalink)

Eli~

Can you post your petition language?

Old 11-23-2010, 02:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

"The new regulations created by the Colorado Division of Wildlife will allow the unlimited harvest of Northern Pike by means of Spearfishing/Archery/Gigs as legal methods of take. Northern Pike spawn in the early spring in shallow bays and flooded grass. This method of take will highly increase the vulnerability of these spawning fish. A seasonal closure will protect these valuable fish insuring future angling opportunities.

Petition to the Colorado Division of Wildlife requesting the seasonal closure of Spearfishing/Archery/Gigs of Northern Pike in Colorado from March 1st to May 31st

All signed below are in favor of this seasonal closure (please sign and print name).
Please place a check behind your signature if you have a current Colorado Fishing license."

This is the language at the top of the list, each page will accomadate 25 signatures. I am hoping to send these out to people who can then get them signed and sent back to me.
fishlip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2010, 02:48 PM   #6 (permalink)

I'm in.
Old 11-23-2010, 03:37 PM   #7 (permalink)

I know online petitions are near meaningless, but would be much easier in this case. Especially since the point would be to make the DOW see that licensed fisherpersons are outraged. Perhaps setting something up where the angler that signs the petition on a website enters their last few digits of their CID from their DOW issued fishing license would prove that it's a real person?

I'd be more then/than happy to sign it regardless though.

Rob

Old 11-23-2010, 04:43 PM   #8 (permalink)

Eli,

If you need someone to spend some time outside of Cabelas and Sportsman's in GJ over December Christmas time period, count me in. If you feel it can wait that long. Next couple weekends are full helping kids learn to fish. (still need a few more volunteers on Grand Mesa at Mesa lakes on 12/11 for ice fishing instructors for kids, PM me if available)
brown-time is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2010, 06:02 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown-time
Eli,

If you need someone to spend some time outside of Cabelas and Sportsman's in GJ over December Christmas time period, count me in. If you feel it can wait that long. Next couple weekends are full helping kids learn to fish. (still need a few more volunteers on Grand Mesa at Mesa lakes on 12/11 for ice fishing instructors for kids, PM me if available)
maybe we could do an educational program on lake trout and Pike, some nice pictures of the trophys that are going to be killed? great idea Jerry, count me in Hey Jerry do you want to get a copy of Eli's pet for the southern boys to sign?
Bobco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2010, 06:10 PM   #10 (permalink)

Another thing to consider is having a printable form people can download, print, sign, and mail directly to the DOW. Could be pretty powerful a send in date was organized....then a couple days later the post office comes rolling up with 1000 forms...and plops them down for the dow to see. Shock and awe!
dieseldoctor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in