New toy! Swimbait reel - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2010, 07:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default New toy! Swimbait reel

Was never really impressed by the Curado 300D sold it a while ago. Never replaced it and didn't throw to many big swimbaits last year. Wouldn't mind chucking some next year.
It is a Daiwa Luna 253 with a Skeet Reese Revo handle that is 100mm. Love the big knobs. It also adds four bearings to the reel. :thumbsupthree:

boondock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2010, 09:38 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: New toy! Swimbait reel

Very nice looking reel!

Just out of curiosity, what didn't you like about the Curado 300?
FishDr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2010, 12:29 AM   #3 (permalink)

Luna
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2010, 02:40 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishDr
Very nice looking reel!

X's 2. What's to be better with the Diawa. I'm always open to better working equipment. Thanks Boondock
Old 11-24-2010, 05:42 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfish_al
Quote:
Very nice looking reel!

X's 2. What's to be better with the Diawa. I'm always open to better working equipment. Thanks Boondock
The Shimano Calcutta 200GTB!

blowfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2010, 01:53 PM   #6 (permalink)

Very nice! Looking to get a calcutta this winter, gears are starting to whine in the ol' reliable!
fishlip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2010, 06:16 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Very nice looking reel!

It is a fine reel and does it's job. I didn't care for the feel of it. Size was a little weird and I have big hands. I am not a huge fan of round reels but after fishing my Calcutta 200 TEDC a lot this year I see their use. I feel like bigger swimbaits are best fished with the extra power of 5.1.1 and it will help me work the bait slow.

I didn't think the Curado was a very refined reel. Maybe the E is better as I think it replaces a few bushing with bearings. Weight is pretty close with the D being 10.5 and I weighted mine with the longer handle/bigger knobs at 11.3.
It is also different than what the masses use which I like.

Hell I might not even like it much but holding it my hand it feels more refined and a better fit for me.

Check out this review guys... Luna is in between the Calcutta B and the TE.
http://www.tackletour.com/reviewdaiwaluna.html

Hope that helps
Old 11-24-2010, 10:19 PM   #8 (permalink)

Dude, why are u buying that daiwa when a ryoga 2020 is still avail? Ill kill to lay my hands on one. Just a heads up, ur DC will outshine the luna and ull regret buying it in the end. Love my 201DC, lady loves to sing the zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
Old 11-25-2010, 05:14 AM   #9 (permalink)

I'll stick with my Shimano CT200GTB. 8 bearings against 6, 9.9 oz against 11.1 oz, 6:0:1 versus 5:1:1, couple those with the fact the GTB having been around a long, long time. I notice Tackle Warehouse didn't put it up against the GTB model or the TE's GT models either, but I think they should stick to the Calcutta B in the review. The TE has a whole different gear system and pricey at over a $100 more in cost. But they had to compare 300 to 300. Be interesting to see 200 versus 200 in the identical price range. That would throw the GTB into the mix.

Not saying the Luna isn't a great reel, most are when you top the $200 barrier, what I can't understand, Boon, is you are constantly trying to reduce rod weight, even going so far as to put micro-guides on (I know there are other reasons too) at a saving of what, 1/4 oz and still you throw a reel on that weights 1.2 oz more?
blowfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2010, 09:57 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowfish
I'll stick with my Shimano CT200GTB. 8 bearings against 6, 9.9 oz against 11.1 oz, 6:0:1 versus 5:1:1, couple those with the fact the GTB having been around a long, long time. I notice Tackle Warehouse didn't put it up against the GTB model or the TE's GT models either, but I think they should stick to the Calcutta B in the review. The TE has a whole different gear system and pricey at over a $100 more in cost. But they had to compare 300 to 300. Be interesting to see 200 versus 200 in the identical price range. That would throw the GTB into the mix.

Not saying the Luna isn't a great reel, most are when you top the $200 barrier, what I can't understand, Boon, is you are constantly trying to reduce rod weight, even going so far as to put micro-guides on (I know there are other reasons too) at a saving of what, 1/4 oz and still you throw a reel on that weights 1.2 oz more?
Cool to each their own. Your 200 size spool holds 10/190, 14/110 which means you are going to have very little line left after a cast and I am not casting a $30 4oz bait on 15lb test. The luna holds 14/195, 17/150 so I could bump up to 20lb test without a problem. Two difference classes of reels blow so you can't even compare weight.
The Luna uses the magforce Z which is the same as the Steez. It also has the quick mag brake control on the side for easy adjustments compared to opening up other reels to adjust.
Your bearing counts are very important for the uneducated consumer. Lets compare the Shimano Core 100 to a Pinnacle Matrix
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Shima...page-SCRF.html

http://www.pinnaclefishing.com/shop/...px#page=page-1

So the $95 Pinnacle must be superior to the $380 Core correct? I think not, a company can pack bearings in all kinds of difference places that really don't matter. Thinks that matter are tight tolerances, free spinning spools, good braking systems, lightweight spools, bearings in the correct places, etc....
Anyways my Luna has 10BB with the different handle

Weight wise as I said above the 200 GTB is in a different class than the 253 Luna. Lets compare the Calcutta TE 300 with the same line capacity
CTE 12.5
Luna (Mine) 11.3
Shimano doesn't make a 300 size Calcutta B.

Also with the weight it doesn't matter near as much if I am throwing 1-5oz baits. No swimbait rod meant for these baits is going to be under 5oz and more likely 6. I would rather have a more refined and powerful reel meant for these bait (300 size spool).
When I can get a rod built under 3oz and have a reel 5.5-7oz for using small bait it matters.
With the regular guides versus micros that 1/4 oz or a tad more depending on guide set. That weight is extended out of 6'-7' where it is WAY more noticeable compared to right under your hand with a slightly less heavy reel. Sounds like you might no the other benefits so I won't even go into that.

I may not be happy with the reel but I have owned a few Calcuttas and they are nice reels but not that next step up. The feel of this one is great but it has yet to be tested. I thought I would share it with a few that fish swimbaits and like nice reel. Hopefully this long post helps someone when it comes to choosing a reel.

I am glad you like your GTB but not the best comparison. I hope to like the Luna. To bad this ice is setting in

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in