Trout lure advice for Dad - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2010, 10:14 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Trout lure advice for Dad

So my Dad is out here visiting for the holidays. He's been wanting to go see Cheesman Canyon and do some fishing. I'm a fly fisherman...Dad's not. He actually doesn't do a lot of fishing.

I'd like to take him into the Canyon and show him around and have him do some fishing. The problem is...I don't know much about good lures to use here in CO for trout since I fly fish. Any advice so my Pops can have some success?

Have heard good things about the HD-Trout by Dynamic Lures on these boards. Any other must-have lures for Dad?

Thanks for the advice guys.

Tom : )
bartendertom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2010, 10:21 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Trout lure advice for Dad

smithwick rogues are great, rapala countdowns work good, luckycraft pointers work good also.
bassboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2010, 10:57 AM   #3 (permalink)

Kastmasters. Pretty standard in Colorado. I'm kinda old school with trout and I also swear by a Daredevil. Thomas Bouyant are good as well.
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2010, 11:25 AM   #4 (permalink)

Can't go wrong with a Mepps size 1 or 2 for up there in Gold or Silver.
joej is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2010, 11:47 AM   #5 (permalink)

For streams, smaller sizes of the following;

Panther Martin, silver blade with yellow body (red spots)
Mepps spinners
Rooster tails
dropshot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2010, 12:31 PM   #6 (permalink)

My go to lures of choice for streams are the smallest Krokodiles you can find in rainbow or brown trout colors. Have him cast across or downstream to avoid snags...
MattMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2010, 12:42 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMan
My go to lures of choice for streams are the smallest Krokodiles you can find in rainbow or brown trout colors. Have him cast across or downstream to avoid snags...
Casting downstream will not present the lure properly. It needs to be cast upstream and reel the lure with the current back downstream.
Old 11-24-2010, 02:49 PM   #8 (permalink)

WOW! You guys are amazing. Thanks for all of the great advice for my Dad. I'm gonna print this off and show him all the great stuff you've posted on here. Keep your fingers crossed for us. I'll post some pix of what we land!

Thanks again!

Tom : )
bartendertom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2010, 04:02 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuceu72
Quote:
Casting downstream will not present the lure properly. It needs to be cast upstream and reel the lure with the current back downstream.
Gotcha, I forgot I have never caught a fish as I described. I mentioned this presentation as he explained his Dad doesn't fish much and this can make life a bit easier this way spending time fishing not snagged. But I guess you can't catch a fish this way.
MattMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2010, 12:28 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuceu72
Quote:
Just a heads up, forage fish can swim. Upstream or down. Both presentations have a time and place.

Please do not use treble hooks in C&R trout water, if you must please mash the barbs. It just wrecks the fish. You can get single hook replacements with an open eye, called a Siwash, that you place over the hook hanger(s) and close with pliers. Some people even prefer the hookup ratio of singles to trebles...

I have said it before, I am saying it now, and I will say it in the future... marabou jig(s) can be fished in any water, and "match" just about forage. Well, suggest just about any forage. But they can be fished in sizes from 1/280th oz to several ounces, hung under floats, drug on the bottom, swam through any depth of the water column. Black, brown, and olive would be my primary colors, with white, chartreuse and pink being secondary colors. Thus any permutation of the first colors is the most common and useful, and the second colors have their use.

If you cant catch trout on a marabou jig it is gonna be a long day. They are basically just wooly buggers on jigheads, though most have no palmered hackle.

Good luck with your pops.

Cheers!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in