A battery question - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2011, 12:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default A battery question

I've got a 29 series deep cycle/trolling battery on my boat that powers my trolling motor.

If I get a combination starting/deep cycle battery to start the big motor on my boat can I wire up my deep cycle 29 series to the starting battery and have some reserve power for my trolling motor?

If I can do that, would running the big motor help to recharge the two batteries and give me longer life to the trolling motor.

Advice. Wise men don't need it, fools won't heed it.
kirbydog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2011, 03:18 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: A battery question

Suggest not. There might come a day when you are on the trolling motor more than normal, in windy conditions and you go to fire the main up and get the dreaded "click". In addition most electonics need 11.5-12.8 (or so) volts to operate properly and if you draw down the starter they wont work.

I'd suggest getting a cheap deep cycle and carrying it along with a set of jumpers.
setthehook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2011, 05:50 PM   #3 (permalink)

Marine supply stores do sell battery switches that are designed to do what you are asking. But I was told by the owner of one of the local marine stores that our lakes are too small to give you the running time you need to really recharge.

I switched to 24 volt (two deep cycle batteries) for my trolling motor, more torque, lasts longer and separate from the main motor starting system.
albow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2011, 08:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

Separate battery and an Isolator switch. You can run your separate battery on the trolling motor without draining the main battery and with the isolator, you can charge that battery AFTER your main battery is charged.

I've set these up a few times (in campers and in boats) using an isolator from Hellroaring Technologies

http://www.hellroaring.com/battery1.php
xxxxxThat Guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2011, 12:41 AM   #5 (permalink)
tc

I do know that when you are charging your trolling motor batteries, you are supposed to unplug your trolling motor. If you have your trolling motor hooked up to a battery that is being charged by your alternator on your big motor while your trolling motor is still plugged in, you could burn up the circuit board in your trolling motor. I wouldn't risk it.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:22 AM   #6 (permalink)

Also, the outboard charges your deep cycle battery for the trolling motor too fast. You want a slower charge into a deep cycle battery to give it more life cycles, and also to last longer with your trolling motor. Buy another deep cycle battery. I carry two on my boat at all times, plus the starting battery for the outboard.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:05 PM   #7 (permalink)

You should never connect your starter battery to your trolling motor. If you don't want to carry an extra battery, Minn-Kota sells a DC onboard charger. It won't charge too fast, but the problem as stated earlier is the lakes are small and not much running time to charge your battery.
bassboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2011, 01:41 PM   #8 (permalink)

The one place I would say don't go cheap is the Battery Dept.

I have once!!! That was all it took..

HOOKERJIGS.NET
wanzek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in