Colorado Fishing Forum

Colorado Fishing Forum (https://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/index.php)
-   Colorado Fishing Lounge (https://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Buying a new fishfinder-which one? (https://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53968)

kirbydog 01-12-2011 12:59 PM

Buying a new fishfinder-which one?

Got two Eagle fishfinders on my boat-gonna treat myself to a new one this spring.

I'm torn between the Hummingbird 570 DI and the Lowrance Mark 5X DSI.

The Hummingbird is 640x320 pixels, 2400 watts dual beam greyscale. The Lowrance is 480x480 pixels, 2400 watt, also greyscale. Both units are new for 2011, I believe, so theres no service or quality record to look at.

The two units seem comparable and both cost $299 at BPS. I owned a couple of Humminbirds way back when and had some problems with them so all things being
equal, if leaning toward the Lowrance unit.

Any recomendations on which is the better way to go? Is one more user friendly and easier to operate (I'm tech challenged). :)

McFish 01-12-2011 02:39 PM

Re: Buying a new fishfinder-which one?

I upgraded to X125 480X480 a few years ago and could not be happier. Excellent definition, so I vote for the Lowrance.

walleye seeker 01-12-2011 02:53 PM

ED
i have 2 lowrance fishfinders and love them. their tech help is good but sometimes hard to get hold of.

bassboy 01-12-2011 03:30 PM

I'd go with lowrance...I've owned several different units and these have given me the least amount of problems.

xxxxxThat Guy 01-12-2011 05:02 PM

Lowrance M68. You'll also be able to us GPS features. I'm sure Byron is willing to share all his waypoints >:D

discloco 01-12-2011 05:11 PM

I suggest lowrance.

slimer 01-12-2011 06:30 PM

I have a humminbird 570 that has dualbeam, and it's pretty solid. I've only had 3 fish finders though... So not sure what that is worth. I seriously want to upgrade to a SI unit. More so than even a gps. I have 2 handheld gps' for that...

But, with a 570, it's probably your best decent display with a dual beam ducer for under $180.

Rob

dgorell 01-12-2011 07:07 PM

I have one of each on my boat. A Lowrance on the front deck, and the Humminbird at the wheel. The humminbird works better at high speed IMO, but I run the bowmount trollin motor and do most of the fishing on the front deck, and the Lowrance actually has better graphics.

So, for pure fish finding, I like the Lowrance, and for better navigation, I like the Humminbird..

If any of that makes sense....

BHR

bassboy 01-12-2011 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beadheadred
I have one of each on my boat. A Lowrance on the front deck, and the Humminbird at the wheel. The humminbird works better at high speed IMO, but I run the bowmount trollin motor and do most of the fishing on the front deck, and the Lowrance actually has better graphics.

So, for pure fish finding, I like the Lowrance, and for better navigation, I like the Humminbird..

If any of that makes sense....

BHR

You may need to speed the bing up on your lowrance, that should make it track the bottom better at higher speeds.

daveschnd 01-12-2011 10:11 PM

i like the hummingbird 585