Random Thoughts from FISHAH0LIC... Let's hear how you got hooked on fishing! - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2011, 01:08 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Random Thoughts from FISHAH0LIC... Let's hear how you got hooked on fishing!

I've been addicted to fishing for 9 years now. My first year was spent bait dunking from shore. The next 3 I covered much of the state with a 10' Pelican Rhino/36lb thrust Minn Kota, which I upgraded with a 4hp Yamaha for that boat's 4th & final year. In February of 2007 I bought a brand new Lund thru ebay. For it I had to drive all the way to Alabama & back. A small dealer got a steal at an Alabama auction & he made me a deal I couldn't pass up ($5,500 to $6,000 less than any other new one just like it). The original dealer in the Great Lakes area went against Lund's policy by sending their boats to the auction to make room for the 2007 fleet. I called the original dealer on the phone & he admitted to signing a document which sent his boats to a no reserve auction in Alabama of all places (great for bass boats, but not deep V walleye boats). Lund & the auction also verified the story from their perspective, which gave me confidence in this amazing deal. This will be my fifth season with my Lund. My maiden voyage on the 10' Pelican got me into a few Chatfield walleye- what a time my buddy & I had! Before that I was shore fishing with worms- yea, even powerbait! Many trips were enjoyed from the little Pelican. I fearlessly went to Big Blue two years in a row. I suppose that's when God had mercy on me, blessing me with a bigger & much safer boat. Every year I've improved catching more fish or bigger fish. This year I'd like to keep a private log of my fishing adventures to compile stats and other significant notes. I wish had logs to review the last 9 years- better late than never. Let me know if you know of any good websites to keep track of this for free. I will share one goal for 2011 (a lofty one), which is to catch a bigger laker than anyone on the forum. Let's hear from you guys, whether it be random musings such as this, or however you'd like to share. How did you get hooked on fishing & just how hooked are you?

--- Iím more addicted to Jesus. If you ever have a prayer request or want God in your life, let me know. Iíd love to listen & share The Word. A little Starbucks with Jesus & I canít hurt. ---

fishaholic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2011, 02:35 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Random Thoughts from FISHAH0LIC... Let's hear how you got hooked on fishing!

Well, I am an atheist, but I got hooked on fishing because I was a nature boy, the sort of kid that America once had a surplus of. I was a student of nature, and found myself infatuated with biological organisms of all stripes. The seemingly infinite complexity of physical forms was a source of limitless fascination! One type of creature really captivated my interest though, because it lived in a world that was totally alien... I spent a lot of time in contemplation of the underwater world. Jacques Cousteau was my hero, not a sports figure or pop star. The amazing adaptations of aquatic species were the jumping off point for me.

I carry with me to this day the same sense of wonder and awe every time I hold a living fish in my hand. I have become somewhat more sophisticated in my methods than I was when I captured minnows in a seine, or when my tackle selection consisted of a piece of limber fresh-cut bamboo, a section of string, and a single gold aberdeen, but the driving force is not much changed... and it must be said that fishing is a great stress reliever!

Cheers!
Old 02-02-2011, 08:23 AM   #3 (permalink)
WYO

Default Re: Random Thoughts from FISHAH0LIC... Let's hear how you got hooked on fishing!

The first fish I caught was an MRT out of an irrigation ditch under Pahlow Ln. west of Laramie circa 1980 at age 7. From then on each summer we'd go to Pelican Lake MN and catch whatever would eat our worms under the boat, which was anything and everything. I once tried an "Earie Dearie" for walleye "as seen on TV" and caught 2 walleyes. I thought I was the man. I once caught a small perch and, just for the heck of it, I put it on the gnarliest lure I had (the kind that you have but rarely if ever use.) I threw it out and something, I'll never know what, crushed it and let it go. I reeled in my mangled perch. From then on I was amazed at the wonders under the water, and not knowing what could be eye-balling your bait.

I'm proud to say that 2 of my 3 kids have caught fish at a younger age than I did, by far. The 3rd will as well but he can't even walk yet.

Nowdays I love to take my canoe as many places as I can, within a reasonable distance from Colorado Springs. That usually means S Park, Pikes Peak, Brush, and Pueblo. I never do spectacular, but I keep trying.

Oh ya, I love to ice fish too, love seeing any and all fish come by.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2011, 11:15 AM   #4 (permalink)

9 1/2 years ago it was a cocaine addict who got me hooked- on fishing that is! He was new to the church where I was one of the ministers. He was so passionate about fishing that he got me out to The Q a couple of times before our Bible study. I recall that being the start of my addiction & through our Bible study and other good influences at church he was set free of cocaine, never to return to it. I know there's many on here who don't agree with Christianity. My goal is not to make enemies or try to get my fellow fisherman to despise me. Regardless of your persuasion, it's a neat story when you consider he got me hooked on fishing & I helped him get free of cocaine (all of the glory to God). We had a blast catching MRTs out of The Q. He told me stories of the largies & the 17 3/4" size fatty he caught, but no such luck while I was there.
fishaholic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2011, 11:24 AM   #5 (permalink)

My old man... Been fishin' with him since I was a kid. Still do whenever I get the chance.
mrwigglestheworm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2011, 12:05 PM   #6 (permalink)

started fishin with my pops at such an early age i dont even remember my first time.....but one of the first great memories i have of fishing as a kid was down in florida...we were fishing an inlet from the bay, catching mangrove snapper one after the other, all day!! that was probably when i was 6 or 7....from then on, its been my favorite past time and hobby....then i started fly fishing on the tailwaters of Arkansas when i was 15...i was definitely hooked on the fly rod after that...11 years later, nothing has changed....gotta go, fish on!!
addictedtothefly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2011, 12:27 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHAH0LIC
I will share one goal for 2011 (a lofty one), which is to catch a bigger laker than anyone on the forum.
Yep. A lofty goal. Good luck with it.

Old 02-02-2011, 12:35 PM   #8 (permalink)

swimbait may be my exact clone and now I'm kinda scared.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:52 PM   #9 (permalink)

Well, how old are you Longdraw? You might be my clone?
Old 02-02-2011, 01:02 PM   #10 (permalink)

Just a buck @ 32yo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in