Fishing in May - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2011, 04:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Fishing in May

Myself and three friends are road tripping to Colorado in mid May this year. Can anyone turn us onto what to expect as far as weather/stream conditions. We have no river in particular picked out. I suppose tailwaters will be our only option. Any have any advice? Thanks a lot!
Bryson
brysonsethyoung is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2011, 04:48 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Fishing in May

Yeah the Platte below Chatfield is your only viable option!
slayerfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2011, 06:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

By May most of the rivers in and around South Park are very fishable. I particularly like the upper Arkansas at this time of year. Not real big fish, mostly 10-16"but a lot of fish per mile on this water. If you head over to the Frying Pan and Roaring Fork it also can be very rewarding. I've fished the Pan for the last 4 years in May and average normally about 8 fish per hour!! We usually get a couple decent snows in May, 6-10" isn't uncommon, but it doesn't last too long. The South Park Lakes will open up generally between the end of March, (Very early) and the middle of May, (Very late). Runoff is not a problem this time of year.
Hope this helps.

Bill
Anteroman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2011, 07:40 PM   #4 (permalink)

Around Memorial Day things start getting really blown out (about when our family takes its spring weekend.. ). Before that, rivers should be good.

JW
JohnPWest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2011, 08:54 PM   #5 (permalink)

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) runs an extremely useful site dedicated to current and future weather trends. I would begin by studying carefully the predictions for the area you intend to be staying. Weather can be very hard to predict in our state, and the spring is hard to predict even by Colorado standards.

http://www.weather.gov/

I will say that the Pan would be high on my list. As would be the Taylor, if giant fish and huge crowds sound nice. There are a few good warmwater and two story (warmwater and coldwater fish in one body of water) lakes. I do not know where you are coming from or what your objectives are, but Colorado has a sometimes surprising diversity of species on offer. Blue Mesa is the largest body of water in the state, and has some massive lakers. The population of walleye in CO is fair to good as well. May is not a bad time to target them.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:25 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimbait
The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) runs an extremely useful site dedicated to current and future weather trends. I would begin by studying carefully the predictions for the area you intend to be staying. Weather can be very hard to predict in our state, and the spring is hard to predict even by Colorado standards.

http://www.weather.gov/

I will say that the Pan would be high on my list. As would be the Taylor, if giant fish and huge crowds sound nice. There are a few good warmwater and two story (warmwater and coldwater fish in one body of water) lakes. I do not know where you are coming from or what your objectives are, but Colorado has a sometimes surprising diversity of species on offer. Blue Mesa is the largest body of water in the state, and has had some massive lakers. The population of walleye in CO is fair to good as well. May is not a bad time to target them.

andyrm66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2011, 12:07 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brysonsethyoung
Myself and three friends are road tripping to Colorado in mid May this year. Can anyone turn us onto what to expect as far as weather/stream conditions. We have no river in particular picked out. I suppose tailwaters will be our only option. Any have any advice? Thanks a lot!
Bryson
hey man, i fished the arkansas end of last may and it was horrible. the runoff is killer, or at least it was then. this year could be different. i snapped 5 lures off just from the current! i had one fish on on my sixth lure and he also snapped my line. i was using 6lb test. i honestly hate fishing the river that time of the year. but im not a regular river fisherman anyway. i hope you guys have a great time out here but my advice is to fish the lakes.
xxxxxxxxbatkinson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2011, 07:08 AM   #8 (permalink)

Around mothers day, the ark caddis hatch is on, but you may contend with some runoff. That time of year, the ark below Pueblo reservoir is nice as is 11-mile canyon.
koldkut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2011, 05:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
RyJ

I know where I'll be on May first! Slayer will probably be there too!
RyJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2011, 05:49 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyJ
I know where I'll be on May first! Slayer will probably be there too!
i will more than likely be there to
catfishking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in