Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

Do real men fish with Bobbers?

4K views 29 replies 22 participants last post by  slimer 
#1 ·
As a kid I did.

But not as an adult, really, until I saw with video with the guy (in Kentucky I think) catching White Bass with the "Lightning Bug" Jig by Mister Twister (1/32nd oz) placed 3' below a bobber.

So I decided to buy the Slip Bobbers.

I thought I would bypass making actual home-molded Jigs, and use Split Shot Sinkers.

The long and the short of it, was that it was a bit silly, because I discovered that I didn't need conventional "jig". What you're casting for Wipers etc, is the Bobber.

What I ended up doing was buying a Fly Tying Vice again, to make "streamer" with a 3 turn lead wire rap, to be fished with a Bobber from my Spinning Rod.

(Actually, tiny Split Shot work okay for jigs slightly heavier, but not over 1/4 oz. They make for ugly jigs kind of.)

Anyway, the Jigs I made were based on several models:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Lightning Bug" Jig by Mister Twister
http://www.mistertwister.com/

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SPRO PHAT FLY Phat Fly 2pk - $3.79

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cumberland Pro Lures Float-N-Fly Jigs 2pk - $3.79
(Grey White Bucktail)

all were found at:

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Custom_Bass_Tackle_Hair_Jigs/descpage-CBTHJ.html#multiview

But, the funny thing is that I never expected to be tying flies again.

See less See more
#7 ·
I don't care much whether I use a bobber or not, if it comes to just using it to show if I'm getting a bite. But the bobber (slip bobber of course) is invaluable for suspending a bait or lure at some exact depth in the water column. I can make a long cast without having many feet of line swinging around as I do it. Then it can put my presentation a few feet below the surface, or way down to just a foot off the bottom, wherever I want it. So yes, bobbers are still useful, if only as depth controls rather than strike detectors.

Always carry a few in the tackle box.

#8 ·
They don't call them ugly for nothin....

I'll fish bobbers during the day in the spring for spawning cats...If in my toon, I'll slow troll a bobber and a roadrunner rig to find the crappie...find one..and you can stop and cast for many more. Slip bobbers in weedy conditions are oftentimes the only way to pull a walleye at certain lakes. A bobber as an indicator on slack line between the eyelets at night for cats..A small bobber while ice fishing just watch for the ripples...and a small bobber...just large enough to suspend your bait while pike fishing through the ice...let's you keep the bail open without the sucker dropping...

A clear bubble set two feet in front of a lure helps when casting krocs, kasties, and spinners in weedy waters...lots of ways to use a bobber...just depends upon what you're doing.

#9 ·
"So yes, bobbers are still useful, if only as depth controls rather than strike detectors."----Walking Eagle

Nobody ever said it so plainly Walking Eagle. The function is for a "Depth Controller".

Somehow, it sounds so odd when you actually say it, because I've always thought of a bobber as a "Strike Detector".

Now, I'm even thinking of making Bobbers just for fun. Some people on the Internet show theirs.

#11 ·
I will be at Sam Rayburn in Texas in two weeks and my buddy and I will have eight to ten poles out with bobbers with jigs and minnows at different depths to find the crappie. Once we find the depth we will use a roadrunner on the bottom with a minnow 18 inches above the jig. You can use as many poles as you want in Texas.

#12 ·
#17 ·
I have noooo problem fishin with a bobber, and for that matter with a freakin night crawler on the hook. Guess you be way more a man than I am. However, can't think last time I used a crawl n a bobber. Dead stickin for eye's, perch, other fish through the ice, slip bob regular. Not controlling the depth. Consistant on the way I use em. Have to admit...less success than jiggin. Soft water, 100+ fish days between a couple of us on a worm n a bobber. Was born n raised on a bobber. I will say I use em less than I ever have...but they still catch fish. I still fish with worms n bobbers.

#23 ·
Bobbers, espcially slip bobbers and so much fun. To not have them in your tackle box or boat is really bad planning. I like planner boards too.....they act like bobbers for crankbaits. There have been many times I have had my boards taken under and that is a thrill. I always have a bobber rod ready at all time in the boat.

The question is:
What makes a great bobber rod?
Best bobber stop?
Best bobber line?
How about the eyes on the rod when you cast the bobbers and the stops.......

Favorite bait on a bobber rod?
Does your favorite bobber rod also double as a dead sticking rod?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.