Posting/Not Posting Fishing Reports: Where Am I Missing It? - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2011, 02:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Hop

Default Posting/Not Posting Fishing Reports: Where Am I Missing It?

May I please ask what seems to me a very basic question? I am totally open to being shown what I am not seeing.

Over and over I have read the comment people make about how they no longer post fishing reports b/c of the whole hot-spotting problem. Of course I get this if the pictures shown clearly & easily identify the place. It also makes sense when certain individuals have become too strongly associated with a particluar body of water (e.g. Rivrunnr w/ P-lo, Shuyak w/Granby, & others). But what I don't understand is why in the majority of cases one can't simply take & post pics that do not reveal the spot in question. It's not that hard, is it? Didn't Solesearcher basically do that all last year? Hasn't Slayerfish done it a ton? IOW, what am I not realizing? Why does wanting to prevent hot-spotting = not posting at all?

(If I'm just being dense, thanks for having mercy on my stupidity and helping straighten me out. Much obliged.)
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2011, 03:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Posting/Not Posting Fishing Reports: Where Am I Missing It?

Because people aren't stupid, Hop. They'll figure the location out. Then try to squeeze into your favorite spots.

Why not post general info? Like lures, colors, depth, presentation, etc.?
Because there are too many trophy hunters and fish killers that hang around these sites. Why would you want to help those people?

Much better to make friends on these sites and share info privately with those you trust will not abuse it, IMHO.

That's my feeling.

Old 03-26-2011, 03:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
Hop

Thanks for the response, and I am not disagreeing with this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofindyourowndamnfish
Much better to make friends on these sites and share info privately with those you trust will not abuse it, IMHO.
I'm a little more skeptical, apparently, about a judiciously presented report being traceable (in many cases, I mean). Maybe I'm just naive, or not too bright, or both.
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2011, 03:14 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Because people aren't stupid, Hop. They'll figure the location out. Then try to squeeze into your favorite spots.

Why not post general info? Like lures, colors, depth, presentation, etc.?
Because there are too many trophy hunters and fish killers that hang around these sites. Why would you want to help those people?

That's my feeling.

I agree with this!! I dont think there is anything wrong with posting a picture if you have the location clearly not identified. Although be careful because even rocks on the ground can give up the location. These sites are about making people better fisherman, not mass advertising of where they are being caught or at least that is how it should be, however Fish Exploiter feels different.
Champsheart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2011, 03:15 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hop
I'm a little more skeptical, apparently, about a judiciously presented report being traceable (in many cases, I mean). Maybe I'm just naive, or not too bright, or both.
You underestimate the ingenuity and persistence of some of us.

Old 03-26-2011, 03:20 PM   #6 (permalink)

I agree with this post as well - and was the same point I tried to make on the other site.

Is posting a picture of that big fish worth exposing a smaller body of water and attracting crowds?

If you must show your nice catch - keep some of the specifics to yourself. The average information hogs can't always figure out where you are. Especially when people black out the backgrounds and whatnot.

I think what happens is when someone who rarely goes fishing, and catches a nice one, they get excited to go brag about it online, unaware of the consequences...

Old 03-26-2011, 03:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hop
If you don't identify the body of water, the lure or bait, the depth, presentation, and you edit all identifying info out of the pictures then you are just left with a "Look at what I caught" post.

Nobody cares about seeing one of those, unless the catch is truly remarkable. Even then, most people would bitch about the lack of information.

Old 03-26-2011, 03:29 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hop
If you don't identify the body of water, the lure or bait, the depth, presentation, and you edit all identifying info out of the pictures then you are just left with a "Look at what I caught" post.

Nobody cares about seeing one of those, unless the catch is truly remarkable. Even then, most people would ***** about the lack of information.

So how about compromise with a post such as...

"Got a couple LMBs at a local pond - using a jig 'n' pig with a craw trailer - slow action, jigging off rocks. Bass in roughly 10 FOW - got about 5 on the day ranging from 12-16inches..."

Nothing is given away while still educating folks of what was working...
Old 03-26-2011, 03:40 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezy
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hop

Nobody cares about seeing one of those, unless the catch is truly remarkable. Even then, most people would ***** about the lack of information.

So how about compromise with a post such as...

"Got a couple LMBs at a local pond - using a jig 'n' pig with a craw trailer - slow action, jigging off rocks. Bass in roughly 10 FOW - got about 5 on the day ranging from 12-16inches..."

Nothing is given away while still educating folks of what was working...
You can even add what color jig, water temp, size of rocks, weather conditions, kind of line use, brand of jig, scents, and all kinds of things. Or you can do what Slayerfish did and clearly show the location of a good catch and have 35 people fishing there the next day who are to lazy to find their own successful locations
Champsheart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2011, 03:44 PM   #10 (permalink)

HOP, I've had people send me print screen shots of google earth...at first asking for info, and then pissed because I didn't want to provide it....On more than one occasion.

I've received PM's stating..."My Grandmother's father's in town and I'd really love to get him into..." Go ahead and fill in the blank..I know...a little bit of exageration...but not much.

I read how posters tell people to ask for locations via PM's...not on the open forum...Why? Do they really know those people asking, and are their fishing practices as far as C&R similar to your own? How many friends do they have...and how many friend's friends are there? And other than wanting some information...are they really your friend at all?

I love to post hiking pics...but oftentimes at my best lakes...I'll post only smaller fish..or no fish at all. I post because I love to share something I'm passionate about, and I'd hope more people would get out there and experiance it for themselves. However, very rarely do I know what's there before I get there...and with a genuine find, I don't want to draw anyone a map.

When I see someone post about a favorite spot that I've fished for years, all I can do is hope it fades off the page right away.

It seems to me that with the advent of the internet, people spend more time searching for proven spots, rather than searching out spots on their own...learnng the lakes ...one by one...learning how to fish the seasons at those lakes. What some of us have spent years learning, while traveling countless miles, others receive with a simple click of a mouse, or a PM to a stranger..
hobiecat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in