Public vs. Private Water . . . How Big a Difference? - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2011, 02:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Hop

Default Public vs. Private Water . . . How Big a Difference?

Conversation topic ...

No fooling, I know where I can go to catch huge largemouth (in CO), even up & over 10 lbs. I find I have little interest ... b/c it's private (I have permission/invitation). I could go and get a pic with a monster bucketmouth, but so what? I just can't get excited about privately stocked places; can't get beyond the 'aquarium' feel. Same goes for similar situations with trout, catfish, or any other species. Was even told of private lakes (in CO) that hold pure strain golden trout. Still, the motivation needle didn't move. To me the public water aspect is part of the sporting challenge. (Same with legal vs. illegal fishing, by the way.)

Not saying this is good, bad, or indifferent, just saying. I know some people don't have this hang-up at all. Thought it would be interesting to hear how others approach/feel about this issue. Cheers!
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2011, 02:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Public vs. Private Water . . . How Big a Difference?

It's fun and all but I agree, it's not really fishing. Like SLAYER says>>> "Private water don't count"

It is kind of like fun fishing vs tournament fishing. Fun fishing is fun but I just can't get it up unless there something on the line(no pun intended).
Old 04-17-2011, 02:38 PM   #3 (permalink)

I belong to a local rod & gun club and it's worth every penny I pay for dues.
Big trout, walleye, bass, crappie and channel cat, nice shady camping, trap shooting, waterfowl hunting, boating, no hassle if the dog is off leash....best of all no rude, noisy crowds!
With the price of gas now and the busy schedule most of us have it's a no brainer for me.
I can be at the lake catching fish in 30 minutes.
I still fish public water often, especially rivers but I'll never give up my membership at the club.
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2011, 02:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

I would love to have access to a great private bass lake. They are, for the most part, fish that are stocked initially as fingerlings and that then grow up wild. The fish killers haven't raped the place and you don't have someone trying to fish in your back pocket all day. It's very enjoyable, in my opinion.

Old 04-17-2011, 02:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Hop

Quote:
Originally Posted by longdraw
... Like SLAYER says>>> "Private water don't count"
In one sense, I agree with that philosophy.

"Private water don't count." -- Slayerfish

Actually, I think Thumper's post (& GoFind's) is very valid. What we're really talking about is not whether there's anything wrong with private-water fishing (there isn't), but just the issue of how the two compare & contrast in terms of challenge and angling accomplishment -- and one's personal feelings toward it. That's all. Comes down to what one is after, I think. Pr. W leaves me w/a somewhat empty or unfulfilled feeling, but that's only me. I'm not "against" it. I just think it's in a different class or category. I like the 'even playing field' dimension of public water.

Appreciate the various perspectives.
Old 04-17-2011, 03:39 PM   #6 (permalink)

over the years i have fished both. i have had days on public water that were a fish per cast and days on private where you got the skunk. to me it depends on what you want to get out of your day of fishing. the private i had was not stocked in the last 20 years, so the fish were wild. i remember working on a big bass for 1 1/2 hours and finaly got her, she didn't want to eat any of the 4 lures i had with me. the only reason i didn't get the skunk that day was i hung on a small limb and was jigging it to flip it over the limb when she got POd enough to slam it. i have had 200 fish days many times on public water. so to me it dosn't matter where you fish, just that you got out
Old 04-17-2011, 03:44 PM   #7 (permalink)

There is a huge difference between fishing a 10 acre private bass pond where the fish are stocked as fingerlings and left to reproduce and fend for themselves, and a 100' diameter pond full of huge pellet pig trout that are fed artificially.

I love fishing those types of bass ponds, but have zero interest in the pellet pig trout.

Old 04-17-2011, 04:13 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofindyourowndamnfish
There is a huge difference between fishing a 10 acre private bass pond where the fish are stocked as fingerlings and left to reproduce and fend for themselves, and a 100' diameter pond full of huge pellet pig trout that are fed artificially.

I love fishing those types of bass ponds, but have zero interest in the pellet pig trout.
Agreed. No problem with private water, its when the fish in the private water's diets consists almost entirely of rabbit pellets - that pisses me off. No sport in it at all. In fact I've seen guys "chum" the water on some of those ponds by throwing out a bunch of pellets, let the feeding frenzy begin, and chuck a brown foam pellet fly into the mix and catch fish on every cast. Ridiculous.

Now, stocked trout eating natural food in their natural environment on private water with no crowds? Sounds like a dream.
Old 04-17-2011, 05:23 PM   #9 (permalink)

Wouldn't make much difference to me. I suck at fishin, couldn't catch a tad pole in private or public water anyway. For me it's like when someone gives up the honey hole...don't mean I'm gonna catch fish. I'd go just for the experience, I can use all the practice I can get.
colonative is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2011, 07:06 PM   #10 (permalink)

My family and I usually fish once or twice a year on a private stretch of river that I received permission to fish starting nearly 20 years. It's a magnificent place for them. I'm ususually kept pretty busy rigging up and untangling, so I don't get a lot of fishing in when we go there.
sswan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in