Hooking yourself? - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2011, 04:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hooking yourself?

So I'm sure a lot of you guys have hooked yourself one way or another -
share your tale... Here's mine

I once was pulling out a Rapala shad from my box, and as I was lifting it out it caught on something, promply piercing the treble hook through my middle finger.

It didn't hurt that bad at first, until I realized the barb was well into the meat of my finger. After pulling a bit, I came to the conclusion that the only way out was to push it through my finger out the other side.

After hyping myself up a bit, I forced the hook all the way through my finger, as it pierced the other side, you could even here it pop through my skin!

I clipped off the barb that was sticking out the other side of my finger with some needle nose plyers. Then pulled the hook shaft back through the original hole. I yelled quite a few curse words and got back to fishing - and I still have that stupid crankbait!

Advertisement

Old 04-20-2011, 04:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
WYO

Default Re: Hooking yourself?

Just minor self-hook-sets.

One time I accidentally stabbed myself in the R quad while flicking water of my knife after gutting some fish. I was in the kneeling position. It sucked big time.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2011, 04:31 PM   #3 (permalink)

LEARN THE LINE TRICK!!!

bomb,AK-47,mosque,abortion clinic,fertilizer,diesel fuel,AR15,infidel,water supply,al-qaeda, sniper,ricin,flight school...
crankn101 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2011, 04:35 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankn101

LEARN THE LINE TRICK!!!
The line loop tug and pull? Yeah it wasn't coming back out that way
Old 04-20-2011, 04:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

if you fish it will happen, i have been hooked several times. the worst one that happened in my boat was a guy had 3-4 rods sticking out when i got close to a tree as he grabbed for his rods he kicked a rogue and the hook went through his shoe and sock into his big toe. there was no way to cut the hook as it went past the bend. i had to grab one of the other hooks and jerk it out. a fair size piece of his toe came with it. i got the first aid kit out and taped it up then we continued to fish
Old 04-20-2011, 04:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by walleye seeker
if you fish it will happen, i have been hooked several times. the worst one that happened in my boat was a guy had 3-4 rods sticking out when i got close to a tree as he grabbed for his rods he kicked a rogue and the hook went through his shoe and sock into his big toe. there was no way to cut the hook as it went past the bend. i had to grab one of the other hooks and jerk it out. a fair size piece of his toe came with it. i got the first aid kit out and taped it up then we continued to fish
That sounds brutal
Old 04-20-2011, 05:15 PM   #7 (permalink)

When my son was about 8 years old we were out bass fishing. I was bent over getting something out of the tackle box. He said, "Watch how far I can cast, dad."

"What?" I said, as I stood up.

Whack!

It was July and I was shirtless. He burried two of three treble hooks on a Bass-a-reno past the barbs on two hooks each in my chest. So, if you're having trouble counting, I had 4 hooks buried in my chest. All 4 hooks were in past the barbs. I gave a little tug on one, and it didn't feel so good. No way I was getting all that hardware out.

So, I had to drive to the emergency room to get the hooks cut out, and the barbs removed, and a tetanus shot.

It was kind of comical walking into the hospital, shirtless and with this 5" red and white bass plug hanging off my chest.

My son felt worse than I did.
Fisher-man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2011, 05:56 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezy
Quote:

LEARN THE LINE TRICK!!!
I disagree, but wont argue the fact.

I have had huge musky size hooks (thick saltwater) all the way in and they popped out. The barbs were so big I had meat hanging out of the holes afterwards. The first time it broke the 25 lb test mono we were using.

bomb,AK-47,mosque,abortion clinic,fertilizer,diesel fuel,AR15,infidel,water supply,al-qaeda, sniper,ricin,flight school...
Old 04-20-2011, 06:08 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

LEARN THE LINE TRICK!!!

I have had huge musky size hooks (thick saltwater) all the way in and they popped out. The barbs were so big I had meat hanging out of the holes afterwards. The first time it broke the 25 lb test mono we were using.
Ouch! Well either way I got it out while avoiding the ER - and no meat was hanging out yikes that sounds gory!!!
Old 04-20-2011, 06:20 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

LEARN THE LINE TRICK!!!

Ouch! Well either way I got it out while avoiding the ER - and no meat was hanging out yikes that sounds gory!!!
Yeah it sucked! I didnt know the line trick and tried pulling it out with pliers, that wasnt happening the skin was stretching the whole lenght of my arm. Then I decided to go to the cabin and do a few shots of Jack then push it through, but it hurt to bad and I vaged out. So for the next step we had to portage over to another lake and find our fishing buddy that is a DR and he showed us how to do it. So about a 1-1/2 later I finally got that sucker out.

Then one time I was drilling a 12" Bobbie bait to add some weight and...Yeah that one didnt end up good either. So now the average bass size doesn't bother me to bad.

Ill have to find the pics...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in