Fish salvage at Bonny Reservoir - Revised - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2011, 12:37 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Fish salvage at Bonny Reservoir - Revised

Well, I guess it really is the last season for fishing at Bonny Reservoir. I have a lot of great memories of fishing that place with good friends over the past 30+ years....

New info on limits in reply below.

BURLINGTON, Colo. As Colorado prepares to drain Bonny Reservoir to help the state come into compliance with the Republican River Compact between Kansas and Nebraska, the Colorado Division of Wildlife will lift bag and possession limits on all sport fish caught at the southeastern Yuma County reservoir effective May 1.

This fall, the State Engineer will begin to drain the reservoir to satisfy a legal obligation to release all the water to Kansas and Nebraska. The result will most likely be the loss of the entire fishery.

"Right now it is unknown how long it will take to drain the lake, but it looks like this might be the last year for fishing at Bonny," said DOW Area Wildlife Manager Cory Chick. "The Division wants anglers to have an opportunity to harvest as many fish as possible before the water is gone. From now until the fall waterfowl hunting closure takes effect, anglers are encouraged to harvest as many fish as possible."

At present, the water level at Bonny Reservoir is about 18 feet below normal, but the boat ramp at the State Park is still operational.

Aquatic Biologist Gary Dowler said that recent sampling indicates that the overall number of sport fish is good, particularly for walleye and catfish. Numerous flathead catfish over 10 pounds were landed in 2010 and sampling efforts revealed a strong population of walleye with many fish over 20 inches. But he expects fishing for larger wipers and white bass to be fair to poor because large wipers and bass were impacted by low water levels over the past few years.

In addition to public salvage, the DOW has developed a strategy to move some of the sport fish to other reservoirs with public fishing. "Based on our most effective methods, we typically move no more than 10 percent of the fish," said Chick. "That is why we would like anglers to have an opportunity to try to catch as many as they can, too."

Recreational anglers must have a valid Colorado fishing license, and must fill out a two-part form indicating the number and species of fish kept when they complete their fishing. Forms are available at self-service kiosks at the entrance points.

All legal methods of fishing will be allowed including the use of trotlines, jugs and seines. Commercial angling is prohibited.

Boating and shore access could be closed as a safety precaution in the event that unstable banks and muddy conditions create a danger to anglers.

The reservoir will reach its lowest level when the water level drops to a point even with the outtake valve. That is expected to occur sometime in the fall or winter.

"We won't know the final depth of the reservoir until that happens, but it doesn't look like the boat ramps will ever be usable again past 2011," Chick said.

Bonny Reservoir was created in 1951 when the U.S. Bureau of Reclamation built a flood control dam on the South Fork of the Republican River.

Recreation on the reservoir, and the land on the east end of the lake, is managed by Colorado State Parks. The DOW manages the recreational use on the lands adjacent to the park and below the dam as the South Republican State Wildlife Area.

Please contact Colorado State Parks website for hours of operation, current boat launching conditions as well as camping information http://parks.state.co.us/.

For more information on the South Republican State Wildlife Area go to: http://wildlife.state.co.us/LandWate...WildlifeAreas/.

Advertisement

Old 04-23-2011, 07:29 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Fish salvage at Bonny Reservoir

That's to bad.
fishinlooney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2011, 09:20 AM   #3 (permalink)

thats to bad i;ve had a lot of good days there i still plan on going there next month
catfishking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2011, 09:24 AM   #4 (permalink)

What a shame!!!!!!!!!
Neal/CO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2011, 09:30 AM   #5 (permalink)

Man that is garbage!!!!!!!!!

I always go there in May. No point of trying to keep it a secret. But that lake still has a ton of fish!!! WTF.

Ill be there next month and get my limit of crappies and whitebass, hopefully a couple double digit wipers to pay my condolences.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:33 AM   #6 (permalink)

That really blows. I have seen the writing on the wall for the last three years. It's a shame that the day is coming. I feel for Kenney at the bait shop. It's going to have a severe economical impact for some people and probably the town as a whole.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:41 AM   #7 (permalink)

Aquatic Biologist Gary Dowler said that recent sampling indicates that the overall number of sport fish is good, But he expects fishing for larger wipers and white bass to be fair to poor because large wipers and bass were impacted by low water levels over the past few years.

With respect to the biologist, i disagree with the whitebass, they are loaded! I was there twice last year.
There are some in the 17-19 inch range there that we landed.
Old 04-23-2011, 05:58 PM   #8 (permalink)

Oops! The first DOW press release said limits had been lifted. Not quite. Here's the correction received today--

DOW TO RECOMMEND SUSPENDING FISH LIMITS AT BONNY

BURLINGTON, Colo. -- As Colorado prepares to drain Bonny Reservoir to help the state come into compliance with the Republican River Compact between Kansas and Nebraska, the Colorado Division of Wildlife will recommend lifting bag and possession limits on all sport fish caught at the southeastern Yuma County reservoir.

The Colorado Wildlife Commission will be asked to approve removing bag and possession limits at its May meeting in Salida. A press release issued Friday incorrectly stated that relaxed bag limits would go into effect May 1. .....

Old 04-23-2011, 07:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
WYO

Default Re: Fish salvage at Bonny Reservoir - Revised

Thanks for the clarification. I've never been to Bonny, but I'd like to experience it before it gets drained.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2011, 11:33 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHORN
That really blows. I have seen the writing on the wall for the last three years. It's a shame that the day is coming. I feel for Kenney at the bait shop. It's going to have a severe economical impact for some people and probably the town as a whole.
X2. Kenny is a good friend of mine and my buddy and I have spent a lot of time with him at the bait shop. Hope everything turns out ok for him.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in