Gas w/o alcohol? - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2006, 08:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Gas w/o alcohol?

Went and picked up my new boat yesterday. The dealer(And the owners manual) told me to NOT to put gas in either motor that has alcohol. IE: ethanol and methanol. Does anyone know any gas staions that dont use it in their gas or am I going to be hard pressed to find one?

It has a 4 stroke Merc 5hp kicker and a MERCURY 75 HP ELPTO.

Thank you

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]
NeWcS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2006, 08:53 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Gas w/o alcohol?

Yeah, that is a problem. I you might find some non oxygenated fuel in Pueblo or Cheyene, and we don't (are not supposed to) have restrictions after April 1st, till late October or so, but last year it was hard to find any around here. I know it helps our CO emissions, but in my experience 10 % ethanol is about 10% less efficent (miles per gallon).

tal0362 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2006, 09:13 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to TroutFishingBear

Where's dan and all of his ethanol gasoline information

[quote author=ptaft link=topic=42422.msg488400#msg488400 date=1236743995]
I say if it catches fish throw it!
[/quote]
TroutFishingBear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2006, 09:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

Jay, check out the Tech Center Sinclair at I-25 and Bellview. They used to sell 100 octane gas- not cheap but I don't think it had alcohol in it.
altidude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2006, 09:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

You can get 100 or 104 octane racing fuel from some stations or petroleum suppliers. it doesn't have alcohol but is muy expensivo (around $4.00/ gallon) it really wont help the engine run any better unless you have mega high compression ratios or boost...in which case it prevents detonation. but...as I said...no alcohol either. as mentioned, we should be getting 100% gasoline back in the pumps this spring sometime.
farmer ted is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2006, 09:54 PM   #6 (permalink)

Theres a place where my buddies get their fuel for their dirt bikes its not cheap but they say its worth it, dont know if it will help but check this website it might help.

http://www.milehicobraclub.com/octane.htm
Big_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2006, 10:55 PM   #7 (permalink)

Gasoline oxygenated with alcohol readily takes up water when it is present. The water may be condensed out of humid air or be a contaminant in the fuel system. Dissolved water will not interfere with engine operation. But if enough water is present, gasoline oxygenated with alcohol will separate into two liquid phases: a top phase which is almost all gasoline (and oil, in the case of 2-cycle fuel) and a bottom phase of water and alcohol. (Phase separation is not a problem with gasoline oxygenated with MTBE.) Phase separation may make the engine difficult or impossible to start. To solve the problem, replace the separated mixture with fresh gasoline.

The situation with the greatest potential for damage is phase separation in the fuel tank of a 2-cycle engine without an oil sump. If the engine is able to start and run on the alcohol/water phase, it won't be lubricated -- almost all the added engine oil will be in the gasoline phase.

To minimize the chance of phase separation, keep water out of your equipment's fuel system and practice good fuel management. You can eliminate the possibility of water pickup when your equipment is not in use if you keep the fuel tank full and close the tank vent.

bassmasters65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2006, 07:48 AM   #8 (permalink)
laker taker

I don't put ethanol treated fuel in my Evinrude. They say MTBE is ok but I have never put that in there either. I go to Flying J on airport road and I-70. One of my fishing buddies used to live in Castle Rock and I think you could get it there. Check around in the metro area, as I think they only treat the fuel with ethanol in the winter for emission purposes. Some places use it year around though. You have to ask different places.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2006, 07:56 AM   #9 (permalink)
Administrator

If fuel is treated with ethanol, it has to be posted on the gas pump. Incase you were unsure about a certain station's gas.

www.ColoradoMountainFishing.com

Here's to Tight Lines, Bent Rods, and Screamin Reels.... FISH ON!
epic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2006, 05:07 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Jay, I am curious are your engines older or new? I have not found where any outboard manufacturer specifically forbids the use of a 10% Ethanol/gas mixture or states it will invalidate the warranty. (on new engines, some older models do)

I also found this on the internet, it has good information concerning gas, ethanol and octanes.

http://www.maxrules.com/fixgas.html

Dan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in