Planer Boards? - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2005, 06:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Planer Boards?

Anyone use them here? What's your take on them? I was looking at http://www.lighteningboards.com/page/page/1265019.htm so the board stays on your line as you are fighting the fish? Thanks.
andyrm66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2005, 06:35 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Planer Boards?

I was kind of surprised...I went to the Carter/Horsetooth fishing seminar up in Loveland a couple of weeks ago...and one of the walleye pro tour guys did a demonstration on how they work...rigging them up and then fighting the fish...I was very surprised because his helper that acted like he was in the boat with him while fighting the fish...they had to stop mid fight and disconnect the planer board...and then the clip on weight that was attached further down...all while fighting the fish...seems like there is a lot of possibility for things to go wrong while fighting a fish...I know guys swear by them...it seemed like a lot of "putzing" around while fighting a fish...I guess I was just surprised...
Old 04-11-2005, 06:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
EyeGuy

I use them almost every time I am on the boat...I wouldn't use ANYTHING but my OFFSHORE Side Planers.

They are easy and fast to release, so you can get those big fish into the boat, and they hold on pretty well, even in big water. The trick is how you wrap the line around the quick relaes button...no putzing!

I certainly would NOT buy those "universal" planers...there should always be one for the right and one for the left...unless you're running TWO on each side, like I often do.

WELL WORTH THE CASH!
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2005, 07:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

Ok so you do have to fight the fish with the board on until you get the board to the boat, then un-clip it? Some of them have a release the lets the line go when you get a fish correct?
andyrm66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2005, 08:19 PM   #5 (permalink)

I like useing offshore boards as well. they are not that hard to deal with.
stuccoman01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2005, 09:31 PM   #6 (permalink)

Ditto,

I like planner boards. Some of my friends in Michigan are really die hard fisherman and they got me started on them. I looked up plans on the internet and my neighbor "a carpenter" built them. We made some modifications for colorado fishing, but any one wanting to spread out your lures should give planner boards or in-line planners a try. Just be careful the first time out at Chatfield - lots of boats. We wrapped one around another boat the first time out!

Terre
tal0362 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2005, 10:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
EyeGuy

You can rig the boards that have a "quick release" clip either way...so they will release as soon as you hook up (or in choppy water) simply by running the line straight through the clip, OR if you want it to hang on, but still release with one hand, just make ONE wrap around 1/2 of the clip instead of running straight through...Piece of CAKE!

Old 04-11-2005, 10:30 PM   #8 (permalink)

That sure seems easier than the demo given by the "pro" up in Loveland...
Old 04-11-2005, 10:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
EyeGuy

One day this summer brother, I will show you just how easy that IS!

I'm serious...it's really just a 1/2 a wrap and it clips off even in nasty chop!

I won't lie to you, I have made mistakes wrapping it, and have had to chase one awhile or screwed around boatside a couple times....but once you learn it, it's a fantastic tool!

On a sidebar...at Lake Michigan two years ago, I had a king salmon go airborn and break me off...he took the planer board under water on a dive...he resurfaced aboutt en minutes later, and we drove the boat over to where he was swilmming...he dove again! WE never saw him resurface although we stayed in the area for over another hour! AMAZING STRENGTH that fish demonstrated!

Old 04-11-2005, 10:50 PM   #10 (permalink)

Jawsesque!!

As Quint said...he cant take two barrels down!...

Brodie...somebody forgot to tell him...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in