Identifying wild trout vs hatchery trout - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2011, 09:49 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Identifying wild trout vs hatchery trout

So I learned something this past weekend flyfishing - (I'm sure many of you know this) but I found it pretty cool.

There is a fin towards the tail of the trout called the adipose fin that is clipped off of all hatchery stocked trout. Obviously wild trout still possess this fin, which is how you can tell if you've caught a naturally raised trout or a hatchery raised trout.

I caught a wild brown on the blue river this weekend which was pretty cool. Here's an older picture, but it demonstrates the difference. Check it out on the next trout you catch

Advertisement

Old 06-24-2011, 09:52 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Identifying wild trout vs hatchery trout

This is not the case with all stockers and or hatcheries. It seems to me that in rivers they clip the adipose, but in most of the put and take lakes over here they clip one or both pectoral fins instead. Since there is only ONE native trout species in this state, does it really matter ?
flyfishgeek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2011, 05:56 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by .
This is not the case with all stockers and or hatcheries. It seems to me that in rivers they clip the adipose, but in most of the put and take lakes over here they clip one or both pectoral fins instead. Since there is only ONE native trout species in this state, does it really matter ?
The DOW does this to identify how healthy a body of water is - whether or not they are effectively spawning.

I thought it was pretty cool - and catching a trout that was born in the wild rather than pellet fed in a farm hatchery makes it more interesting to me
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2011, 06:12 PM   #4 (permalink)

And yes - you may be correct about it applying to rivers (as I was fishing a river where I was shown this). And usually trout spawn more often in flowing river water...
Old 06-24-2011, 07:08 PM   #5 (permalink)

Wow that is cool, I'll pay attention more to see that. But I have never fished in a river so, maybe not. But still cool, hehe.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:09 PM   #6 (permalink)

So you are saying that someone or groups of someones snips of the little fin of tens of thousands of little trout and you believe that. Right
skb2706 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2011, 02:57 PM   #7 (permalink)

Yes, he is right. In many cases, although not always, hatcheries do snip a fin...

Some people just need a high five. In the face. With a chair.
Luke the Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2011, 05:38 PM   #8 (permalink)

Hmm, I live about 1 1/2 miles from a hatchery. Sometimes when they clean out the runways some of the baby trout wash down into the river. Runways are cleaned often. When this happens there are larger trout in the river waiting for them to eat. Some I am sure get away. These don't have any fins clipped. Just saying.
Old 06-25-2011, 06:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
silent_light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezy
Quote:
Originally Posted by .
The DOW does this to identify how healthy a body of water is - whether or not they are effectively spawning. 

I thought it was pretty cool - and catching a trout that was born in the wild rather than pellet fed in a farm hatchery makes it more interesting to me
the reason they clip theectoraal and other additional fins is to designate year-classes of fish.  many hatcheries have the "codes" on their site.  so if you catch a stocker with the adipose/right pectoral fin, you can figure the age of the fish/year stocked.

another identifier is that - in general - a wild rainbow will have white tipped fins, where a stocker will not. fresh stockers will be a very featureless silver untill they are in the system eating natural foods and develop their "wild" coloring. Also, many times the dorsal fins of stocked trout are smaller than "wild" fish. All of this pretty much pertains to rainbows in this state, as browns are not normally stocked in rivers.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2011, 08:20 PM   #10 (permalink)

Stocker trout can easily be identified by the fact that they are usually halfway down a real predator's gullet...like pike or wiper. Actually, wild trout can be identified this way too. That's the only way I care to identify them.
rivrunnr1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in