Rod/Reel suggestions - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2006, 02:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Rod/Reel suggestions

I am still new to spin fishing and don't know that much. I do know most of my gear is cheap walmart stuff. I want to get an ultralight set up but I don't want to spend alot. I still will fly fish mostly I just would like to get better equipment for when I do spin fish. Most of my stuff now is over sized, overpowered, and for some reason has 15lb test on all of it. Not alot of fun to catch stockers and the like on. I was thinking no more than $40 for the rod and reel. Any suggestions?
hatchmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2006, 03:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
fishinguitars

Default Re: Rod/Reel suggestions

If you can find a pflueger set up on sale...they are awesome!!! For spinning gear I have a trion set up made by pflueger and a love it!!!
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2006, 05:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

you can actually get a pretty decent setup for that kind of money if you find the right sale. Cabelas is having a good clearance sale right now...out of the nebraska store. look for a 10 or 15 series reel with a decent ball bearing count. Most manufacturers make good stuff...even in the lower end. I recommend the Mitchell Avocet Silver series reels for a decent low priced spinning reel. the 1500UL is about $25. Expensive reels are sweet but you dont always need one. As far as rods go...many makers make decent graphite rods for cheap $. find one that feels good to you that you like the action of. don't worry about the graphite modoulus (sp?) or anything. find a nice 5-6' ultralight that you dig. again, I just got a flyer in the mail from cabelas...some of their house brand rods are pretty decent, especially for the money. put some 2,4,or 6 lb test on your rig and you're set to go.
farmer ted is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2006, 06:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

Have to agree with Farmer Ted! I have a Mitchell Avocet rig. It's been the only reel that hasn't "acted-up" on me in the last 3 years and it still runs smooth and catches fish!

I like it so much that I purchased another one a couple weeks ago. Now I have 1 for lures and 1 for a fly/bubble!

Bought it at Gander (along with some other good stuff) with my "ColoradoFisherman" letter discount!
Old 03-03-2006, 07:58 AM   #5 (permalink)

I am in search for a good baitcast reel. what do you guys consider? I have not used one before. does the Quality refers to how many bearings the reel has?
Old 03-03-2006, 08:44 AM   #6 (permalink)
laker taker

What are you going to use it for? Flat line trolling, casting bass plugs, trolling bottom bouncers, casting big muskie/pike lures, etc....

I've had good luck with quantum's upper line of reels, both spinning and casting. # of bearings is a selling point to try and give a buyer an idea of quality. A 9 bearing reel will most likely be smoother than a 3 bearing model but price is significantly higher.

Baitcasters can be a royal pain for the un-initiated. Let me emphasize, ROYAL PAIN! Baitcasters like to backlash and create a rats nest of line that could take quite a while to fix or you may just have to cut your line to fix it. I know someone is going to say they never backlash,,,, well, even the pro's backlash sometimes. Baitcasters are cool little machines, but be aware of the learning curve involved. I would go with a more inexpensive model to learn how to cast. If you find out a baitcaster is not for you, you're not out $200 to $400 for the top of the line rig.* *

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2006, 10:15 AM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks Laker, for the info, they are cool little units, but I guess the learning curve will decide if it is even worth it.. I will probably go for a cheap one first.. as you advice,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in