Spawn? - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2006, 02:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Spawn?

I'm ready to admit it. I don't know the first thing about spawning. I know it's about reproduction but that's about it. What's the deal with spawning fish? Is this a good time to fish for them? Untill last year I never really went after anything besides trout. But now I'm all about multi species fishing. I have heard people talking about bass, bluegill, trout, and walleye spawning on the forum. Should I be planning for this? Do all fish spawn at the same time? I always read you guys talking about the spawn and finnaly decided to admitt my ignorance. Thank for the info!
hatchmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2006, 03:08 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Spawn?

Fishing for spawning fish is up to the individual fisherman.* Some believe that by disrupting fish during their spawn, you can negatively effect their efforts which equals less fish for you and me.* Others believe that you do not do any or little harm by fishing during a spawn.*

Every fish spawns at different times...even within a same species.* While some bass will spawn as soon as the water hits 60-70 degrees others are late spawners.* During this time, it is easy to catch fish.* Put a worm or jig in a bass bed and it is only a matter of time before the male bass picks up your lure in an attempt to keep the bed clear...not difficult.* Bluegill are the same way.* They attack anything that invades their space.
Temp is the key.*

I fish spawning fish. I dont target them persay...but if the oportunity reveals it self. I believe that if we really were concerned about fish populations, we would not want to catch fish before as well as during a spawn. I never hear anyone saying "Dont fish the Pre-Spawn bass!" That is an important time for fish...they are trying to fatten up a bit before the spawn...where they basically starve themselves until their fry hatch.....

Hope that helps (and is accurate),
Pondfisher
Pondfisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in